Disabling Autoplay on Win XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

How do disable autoplay once and for all? I have tried telling XP not to take any actions when
I insert a CD or flash card or turn on a USB drive, but XP always scans the drive, as if it is
looking for some file/content-type that it can ask about.

I don't want XP to do ANYTHING with ANY type of media. Ever. How do I do this?

http://www.google.com/search?q=tweakui+disable+autoplay
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/cd_autoplay_home.htm
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/cd_autoplay_pro.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

<NukeGuy65@aol.com.valid> wrote in message
> How do disable autoplay once and for all? I have tried telling XP not to
> take any actions when
> I insert a CD or flash card or turn on a USB drive, but XP always scans
> the drive, as if it is
> looking for some file/content-type that it can ask about.
>
> I don't want XP to do ANYTHING with ANY type of media. Ever. How do I do
> this?

sam1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
No need to use other software. Go to Start and Run, type in gpedit.msc and press enter. After you are there go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System. Under the System level, you will see an option as Turn off Autoplay. Enable it.

djsoftware

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
You are gonna wanna right click the drive that you want to disable autoplay in Windows Explorer. Navigate to the autoplay tab.. and disable it!

jKaufmann

Actually, the most serious reason to be careful about TweakUI is that Windows Registry control is such a muddle: TweakUI operates at the level of HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_USER..(whichever user happens to be current at time of invocation). But if Disable Autoplay is also set via gpedit.msc, then it sets a GPO under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and also changes the value of NoDriveTypeAutoRun under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - both of which override the setting of TweakUI. So in a nutshell, the moral is: don't trust it [or don't trust Windows?].

miloshh

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I tried to find a way how to disable autoplay) editing registry, but I only make mess in my system. Then friend told me about tool called Autoplay disabler pro (http://www.autoplaydisabler.us) which is really simple to use, even for non experienced users like me :D and the best of all, it works :)