[SOLVED] Disabling CSM after convert MBR to GPT

Jul 18, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have installed windows 10 while CSM was enabled. But then i realized that i need to disable CSM to enabling SAM. So i learned that CSM uses MBR and UEFI uses GPT.
And then i have learned that there is a way to convert my partition to GPT without data loss.
My question is, if i convert my partition into GPT, am i going to be able to select UEFI from BIOS and Disable CSM .(Of course it should be boot after these settings).

Thanks for your answers from now.

Edit:

My system specs are:

Asus Rog Strix BB50A
Ryzen 5600x
Rx 6800XT

Last edited:
Solution
My question is, if i convert my partition into GPT, am i going to be able to select UEFI from BIOS and Disable CSM .(Of course it should be boot after these settings).
Yes, but from my experience, it is better to format the drive that you're installing windows on into GPT first, and then disable CSM on the bios, and proceed install as normal. That way you wont experience any glitch like what i got.
Yes, but from my experience, it is better to format the drive that you're installing windows on into GPT first, and then disable CSM on the bios, and proceed install as normal. That way you wont experience any glitch like what i got.

Reactions: theboltTR
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
yes.

it is better to format the drive that you're installing windows on into GPT first, and then disable CSM on the bios, and proceed install as normal.
formatting the drive as GPT before installing win 10 onto it is a waste of time. All you need to do is make sure CSM is off in BIOS and if the drive is all unallocated space, win 10 will format drive as GPT and create the 4 partitions.

he is converting drives, not reinstalling win 10.

If this is all for win 11, whats the rush?

Jul 18, 2021
First of all, thank you all for your quick answers,

but I dont want to format my whole ssd because there are so many programs which i will have to reinstall if i make a clean install. By the way i only want to disable CSM because i cannot enable SAM(Smart Access Memory) if its enabled.I have a r5 5600x and rx 6800xt, so its a waste not to use SAM on my system.

So, only thing i have to do is using AOMEI Partition Asistant and convert my disk to GPT from MBR. And then i can go to BIOS and select UEFI only and disable CSM, right? Is there anything else which i have to be careful?

First of all, thank you all for your quick answers,

but I dont want to format my whole ssd because there are so many programs which i will have to reinstall if i make a clean install. By the way i only want to disable CSM because i cannot enable SAM(Smart Access Memory) if its enabled.I have a r5 5600x and rx 6800xt, so its a waste not to use SAM on my system.

So, only thing i have to do is using AOMEI Partition Asistant and convert my disk to GPT from MBR. And then i can go to BIOS and select UEFI only and disable CSM, right? Is there anything else which i have to be careful?
You cannot do that, it will make your drive non-bootable, check this:

Different purpose same steps.
View: https://youtu.be/NivpAiuh-s0?t=310

Jul 18, 2021
Depends on your system and if it can boot in UEFI mode. If you have some older system, then it may not support UEFI at all.
You have not given us any info about your system. So - we can't know.

Sorry, I forgot to mention my specs.
My system specs are:

Asus Rog Strix BB50A
Ryzen 5600x
Rx 6800XT

SAM: No need for this at the moments I have tested in several games and h/w setups and I suggest don' bother with it if one has an already fully functional system and is satisfified with this.
Some games actually will see a performance loss, and in most games that support SAM will only gain somewhat between 5-10 FPS and that is in particular high resolutions 1440 or more.
If you are on a 1920x1080 monitor- don't even think about it.

However if one will try, there are several requirements that must be fulfilled and its just not about the BIOS settings.
And here I'm just talking about AMD chipset.
  1. Make sure that your mobo and CPU can support SAM from the beginning.
  2. Only GPUs from AMD RX6000 series support SAM.
  3. You will need to update your BIOS with latest Agesa version.
  4. In Bios setup >Boot menu => CSM (Compatibility Support Module) has to be disabled.
  5. In Bios setup > Boot option UEFI mode must be enabled, however I have tried without, but as a quest from SAM support, I suggest to have UEFI enabled.
  6. And that make a whole new requirements. In order to have Windows UEFI fully enabled, the systems disk/ssd partition must be in GPT and Not partitioned in MBR mode. If it not, then one have to reinstall Windows.
  7. After restart of the system
  8. Enter Bios setup again to enable Above 4G Decoding and then enable SAM.
You will find it under BIOS > Advanced menu.

My rig:
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT OC 16GB
Extended monitor setup: Gigabyte AORUS-FI27Q27" 2560x1440 @165Hz, Philips IPS 24" 1920x1080 @60Hz
Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
SAM: Enabled and fully functional.
CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X
Ram: 16GB @3200 MHz
CPU Cooler: NH-D15-Se AM4
Storage: M2 Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, SSD Samsumg 950 Pro 1 TB
Temp: overall 36C deg.