[SOLVED] Disabling CSM Support and other things (Legacy to UEFI)

Jun 26, 2021
Microsoft is driving me crazy with their requirements for Windows 11 (TPM and Secure Boot has to be on?!). My HDD with my OS is set on GPT as well as my SSD for games and my BIOS mode for Windows 10 is UEFI according to my system information, but CSM Support is enabled and Storage Boot Option Control and Other PCI Device ROM Priority are set to Legacy Only on my BIOS. Will my computer still boot normally if I disable CSM Support and enable AMD CPU fTPM and Secure Boot? My computer is working just fine and I want to be able to make the necessary changes to make it ready for Windows 11, but I'm scared of messing up my computer and having to reset everything.

PC Specs
B450 Aorus Pro Wifi Motherboard
Powercolor Red Dragon AMD Radeon RX 580 Graphics Card
32GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor 3.40 GHz

Solution
Don't worry about it now, if its still in place in a few months you can make changes then

CSM Support is enabled and Storage Boot Option Control and Other PCI Device ROM Priority are set to Legacy Only on my BIOS.

Storage Boot Option Control
Allows you to select whether to enable the UEFI or legacy option ROM for the storage device controller.
Disabled Disables option ROM.
UEFI Only Enables UEFI option ROM only.
Legacy Only Enables legacy option ROM only. (Default)
This item is configurable only when CSM Support is set to Enabled.

Other PCI Device ROM Priority
Allows you to select whether to enable the UEFI or Legacy option ROM for the PCI device controller other
than the LAN...
Jun 26, 2021
I haven't made any changes but I guess I'm being too hasty about this. There's so much about computers I don't understand and I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of it and be up-to-date on things. I really hope they'll backpedal on these dumb requirements.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Don't worry about it now, if its still in place in a few months you can make changes then

CSM Support is enabled and Storage Boot Option Control and Other PCI Device ROM Priority are set to Legacy Only on my BIOS.

Storage Boot Option Control
Allows you to select whether to enable the UEFI or legacy option ROM for the storage device controller.
UEFI Only Enables UEFI option ROM only.
Legacy Only Enables legacy option ROM only. (Default)

Other PCI Device ROM Priority
Allows you to select whether to enable the UEFI or Legacy option ROM for the PCI device controller other
than the LAN, storage device, and graphics controllers.
UEFI Only Enables UEFI option ROM only. (Default)
Legacy Only Enables legacy option ROM only.
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b450-aorus-pro-wifi_1101_210618_e.pdf

wonder what 2nd one even controls. what PCI cards do you have? if none, you can set it to UEFI

really, if its default you should be able to leave it as is and enable the other 2

Solution
Jun 26, 2021
Last I checked, I didn't see Secure Boot as an option to enable, but AMD CPU fTPM was there to enable. Also I don't have any PCI cards since the wifi is built in and I didn't add anything else to the motherboard other than a nvme 2TB SSD for games (GPT).

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
if its anything like the gigabyte-b450m-ds3h then it should be at bottom of bios tab

it is under the bios tab in the bios. Because of the way that secure boot works if you have csm enabled secure boot is automatically disabled because it requires a pure uefi environment to work. with csm enabled it secure boot is disabled and the option disappears from the bios options. If CSM is disabled then the secure boot option will show up at the bottom of the screen and you can select it to modify its settings.
https://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/6997/gigabyte-b450m-ds3h-disable-secure

so disable CSM and it should show then.