[SOLVED] Disabling ethernet adapter question (control panel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Hi, disabling ethernet adapter from control panel and then re-enabling it gets me new ip address or is it only valid and only works by turning off/on modem itself? Windows XP had this feature called "repair connection" back in the day there was a text "renewing new address" so I always assumed that can also work on Windows 10 too,

Thanks in advance and great day to you

Solution
Open a commandline session and type:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

This will do what you ask. However, you will most likely get the same IP address. The question is exactly why are you looking to get a new (different) address?
Renewing your IP address only affects which one you are on the network. If you want to change your public IP address, your ISP usually changes that once in a while.

In any case, your router also is the one that manages IP addresses in the local network. As mentioned you may end up with the same IP address because the router doesn't see a point.

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Open a commandline session and type:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

This will do what you ask. However, you will most likely get the same IP address. The question is exactly why are you looking to get a new (different) address?

Answer is cheaters and modders in Red Dead Online crashing peoples home networks just by using some cheat/mod menu in the game session. There are no private sessions thanks to lazy developers and all I can do is this to prevent our home network getting hacked or crashed by cheaters. There is literal hackers in that game and thats the only western game on the market so I don't have much choice. Getting new address protects it from getting hacked/crashed/ddosed yes?

.....Getting new address protects it from getting hacked/crashed/ddosed yes?
No. Every time you connect to the servers your new IP address is broadcast. The only real solution is to stay off those servers. And, the only way you will get a new public facing IP address is to turn your modem off for a considerable amount of time (possibly weeks or even months). Your provider isn't going to give you a new one on a whim.

There are no private sessions thanks to lazy developers and all I can do is this to prevent our home network getting hacked or crashed by cheaters. There is literal hackers in that game and thats the only western game on the market so I don't have much choice.
Even if someone knows your IP address, they still have more work cut out for them to actually get to your computer. Any modern networking equipment worth its weight in platinum would basically bock clock all the normal channels from accessing a given computer.

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
No. Every time you connect to the servers your new IP address is broadcast. The only real solution is to stay off those servers. And, the only way you will get a new public facing IP address is to turn your modem off for a considerable amount of time (possibly weeks or even months). Your provider isn't going to give you a new one on a whim.

Speedtest website shows a different ip every time ı turned off my modem for 20 secs, isnt that ok? is that public ip you talking about?

Even if someone knows your IP address, they still have more work cut out for them to actually get to your computer. Any modern networking equipment worth its weight in platinum would basically bock clock all the normal channels from accessing a given computer.

Dunno about that however my anti-virus software have a feature called "network attack blocker" which claims to be block ip addresses in cases of "dangerious network activity and attacks" is that cover this danger? "add attacker ip addresses to the blocked list for 900 minutes" and "treat port scanning and network flooding as attacks" is this what do I need?

Thank you both for quick replies,

Dunno about that however my anti-virus software have a feature called "network attack blocker" which claims to be block ip addresses in cases of "dangerious network activity and attacks" is that cover this danger? "add attacker ip addresses to the blocked list for 900 minutes" and "treat port scanning and network flooding as attacks" is this what do I need?
If you're doing firewall services at an end point, you're doing it wrong.

A modern router should basically block all unsolicited requests from the outside world unless you specifically told certain types of traffic are acceptable. For example, the whole port forwarding thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS