[SOLVED] Disabling Services vs Manual for Performance

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Hi all,

Does anyone know if manual or disable for services will make any difference on performance? I kept windows updates on manual whenever I want to check updates myself.
I followed this video to disable unnecessary services: Disable Unnecessary Windows Services for 128% Faster Gaming Performance (2021) - YouTube

If the services don't start in the first place, is there no point in disabling it and better to leave it on manual? Performance gain is pretty much minimal?

Solution
I know this is a self selected population of people looking for answers to a problem they have or they created, but rare are the posts where someone deleted or disabled services in the search for "more performance", AND it both worked perfectly AND they saw better measurable performance.

Almost always it ends up with "I disabled X,Y,Z, and now my system does not run correctly."

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
There are quite a few various "walkthrough" for turning off and disabling (even uninstalling) services you don't want running in the background of Win 10. I don't honestly feel like Windows Update is one of the ones you want to mess with. Just my .02 on that aspect.

Personally spend about 15 mins of every fresh install I do going in and turning off background processes, uninstalling One Drive, turning off Game Bar, disabling the Xbox service(s). Uses less resource and totally worth the time to do, even on a very powerful system.

Much of this can be done from the desktop without having to go into any of the registry or higher level area. I try not to make changes in the registry unless I specifically have to, and pro tip...keep notes somewhere of what you do. A couple of years down the road when you have forgotten....(there is always a wipe and clean install though)

USAFRet

Titan
I know this is a self selected population of people looking for answers to a problem they have or they created, but rare are the posts where someone deleted or disabled services in the search for "more performance", AND it both worked perfectly AND they saw better measurable performance.

Almost always it ends up with "I disabled X,Y,Z, and now my system does not run correctly."

Solution

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021

Yeah I guess it's not worth the risk, I'll just keep them on manual.

Hi all,

Does anyone know if manual or disable for services will make any difference on performance? I kept windows updates on manual whenever I want to check updates myself.
I followed this video to disable unnecessary services: Disable Unnecessary Windows Services for 128% Faster Gaming Performance (2021) - YouTube

If the services don't start in the first place, is there no point in disabling it and better to leave it on manual? Performance gain is pretty much minimal?
If a service never starts in the first place then I doubt it would make any difference going from manual to disabled.