[SOLVED] Disabling TPM on my Prime X570-Pro

Grid21

Honorable
Nov 16, 2016
Hey everyone! I recently got the Asus Prime X570-Pro Motherboard. And according to Windows 10, my PC is qualified to update to Windows 11, which is a problem because I don't want Win 11, and also because I have a lot of software licenses for Music and video creation that I am NOT interested in having to reactivate. I'd like to disable TPM to keep Win 11 from being installed and tell Microsoft where to stuff it. But I drew concerned because a year ago, someone made a similar post about the TPM on this motherboard and some odd warning about "And when enable it says can't disable if enable..... cause loose all data... " See thread here: Asus X570 prime pro TPM So my question is, what "data" was the motherboard talking about, and can I safely disable TPM on my motherboard and not risk losing "data" i.e. my OS? Or was the "data" the security keys that supposedly the TPM holds? If someone could please clear this up for my understanding I'd greatly appreciate it.

Solution
Hey everyone! I recently got the Asus Prime X570-Pro Motherboard. And according to Windows 10, my PC is qualified to update to Windows 11, which is a problem because I don't want Win 11, and also because I have a lot of software licenses for Music and video creation that I am NOT interested in having to reactivate. I'd like to disable TPM to keep Win 11 from being installed and tell Microsoft where to stuff it. But I drew concerned because a year ago, someone made a similar post about the TPM on this motherboard and some odd warning about "And when enable it says can't disable if enable..... cause loose all data... " See thread here: Asus X570 prime pro TPM So my question is, what "data" was the motherboard talking about, and...
Hey everyone! I recently got the Asus Prime X570-Pro Motherboard. And according to Windows 10, my PC is qualified to update to Windows 11, which is a problem because I don't want Win 11, and also because I have a lot of software licenses for Music and video creation that I am NOT interested in having to reactivate. I'd like to disable TPM to keep Win 11 from being installed and tell Microsoft where to stuff it. But I drew concerned because a year ago, someone made a similar post about the TPM on this motherboard and some odd warning about "And when enable it says can't disable if enable..... cause loose all data... " See thread here: Asus X570 prime pro TPM So my question is, what "data" was the motherboard talking about, and can I safely disable TPM on my motherboard and not risk losing "data" i.e. my OS? Or was the "data" the security keys that supposedly the TPM holds? If someone could please clear this up for my understanding I'd greatly appreciate it.
Just don't install Windows 11. :spamafote:

TPM is just a security feture used by very limited number of applications. Although W10 supports it's not requirement except for those applications. With AMD systems it's called fTPM so you can look for it ad disable it in BIOS. As a security feature.
"And when enable it says can't disable if enable..... cause loose all data" means that security applications (like Bit Locker for instance) may cause you to not be able to access files on a disk locked by Bit locker as keys for it are located in TPM and disabling it clears TPM memory. Without TPM you can't use Bit locker (and such applications) anyway so nothing to worry about.
BTW. You can upgrade W10 to 11 without loosing anything, no need for clean install. All programs and games are compatible with W11.

Solution

Grid21

Honorable
Nov 16, 2016
Thanks for the massive amount of replies, does anyone know if the fTMP stores your Windows 10 license? Also, I don't want a forced win11 update either so the main goal was to prevent that and my thought process was, if the fTMP is off, then it would prevent Windows from updating to 11. And yes I do imaging of my PC twice a week too. If I don't turn off fTMP, what other ways do I have to stop win11 from being forced on me? Also, I don't use BitLocker as I feel it's kinda stupid and causes a lot of data protection issues.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the massive amount of replies, does anyone know if the fTMP stores your Windows 10 license? Also, I don't want a forced win11 update either so the main goal was to prevent that and my thought process was, if the fTMP is off, then it would prevent Windows from updating to 11. And yes I do imaging of my PC twice a week too. If I don't turn off fTMP, what other ways do I have to stop win11 from being forced on me? Also, I don't use BitLocker as I feel it's kinda stupid and causes a lot of data protection issues.
The TPM, f or otherwise, does NOT store your WIndows license.

And so far, Win 11 is not being forced on anyone.
On a compatible system, it will tell you it is ready. If you don't want it, just say No.

logainofhades

Titan
I'm talking about the video and music licenses, they should work no problem, I'm just saying that sometimes they are weird, he should email the companies and ask them to be sure.

Those licenses should be tied to your motherboard. Only way I could see needing to reactivate the licenses, on the same exact system, is if you happened to do a fresh install, of Windows.

Grid21

Honorable
Nov 16, 2016
Those licenses should be tied to your motherboard. Only way I could see needing to reactivate the licenses, on the same exact system, is if you happened to do a fresh install, of Windows.
No, I didn't do a fresh install of Windows, all I did was swap motherboards after my X470 was showing signs of a chipset failure causing my computer to randomly go blackscreen, and USB ports would go dead.

Grid21

Honorable
Nov 16, 2016
And with a new motherboard, you should really really consider a full wipe and reinstall.
Mmm, I can't do that actually. I have a lot of licensed software, both music, and video software, that I am not interested in reinstalling. So far everything has been acting normal since the motherboard swap and better even since I did.

USAFRet

Titan
Mmm, I can't do that actually. I have a lot of licensed software, both music, and video software, that I am not interested in reinstalling. So far everything has been acting normal since the motherboard swap and better even since I did.
I completely understand not wanting to.
However, sometimes it is required.

Unless the replacement motherboard is an exact duplicate of the original, sometimes a full wipe and reinstall IS required.
Many times, the thing won't even boot up.
Secondarily, you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

Having it seemingly work this time is not an indicator that it always works this well.

And lastly, what are your procedures in the case of a physical drive fail, or reinstall due to other issues (corruption, malware, etc)

Grid21

Honorable
Nov 16, 2016
I completely understand not wanting to.
However, sometimes it is required.

Unless the replacement motherboard is an exact duplicate of the original, sometimes a full wipe and reinstall IS required.
Many times, the thing won't even boot up.
Secondarily, you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

Having it seemingly work this time is not an indicator that it always works this well.

And lastly, what are your procedures in the case of a physical drive fail, or reinstall due to other issues (corruption, malware, etc)
I use Marcrium Reflect to do an exact image of my OS that happens twice a week. When I went to install the new motherboard, Windows 10 was able to install new drivers and I went into device manager, turned on "show hidden devices" and uninstalled the previous motherboard drivers. All my other data, media files, are on other hard drives and my main OS is installed on an SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
I use Marcrium Reflect to do an exact image of my OS that happens twice a week. When I went to install the new motherboard, Windows 10 was able to install new drivers and I went into device manager, turned on "show hidden devices" and uninstalled the previous motherboard drivers. All my other data, media files, are on other hard drives and my main OS is installed on an SSD.
OK, good for MR. I use that daily as well.
And you are far ahead of most people with that backup routine.

I'm just saying, that sometimes a full reinstall IS needed.
We'd all like that to not be the case, but....

Grid21

Honorable
Nov 16, 2016
OK, good for MR. I use that daily as well.
And you are far ahead of most people with that backup routine.

Well, I've had the board installed for about a week and so far, everything has been acting ALOT better than it did before. I also spent a lot of time talking to the cool folks over at AMD and they also agree it was a defective Chipset given the behavior that the previous board had been giving since I've had it since day 1. Anyway, I guess I don't have to disable TPM, I just wanted to know if it was safe to do so without risking whatever this "data" loss was.

USAFRet

Titan
Well, I've had the board installed for about a week and so far, everything has been acting ALOT better than it did before. I also spent a lot of time talking to the cool folks over at AMD and they also agree it was a defective Chipset given the behavior that the previous board had been giving since I've had it since day 1. Anyway, I guess I don't have to disable TPM, I just wanted to know if it was safe to do so without risking whatever this "data" loss was.
If its been a week, you're probably OK.
I've had it work, I've had it fail. And everything in between.

Grid21

Honorable
Nov 16, 2016
If its been a week, you're probably OK.
I've had it work, I've had it fail. And everything in between.
Well I used to work in IT laptop and desktop repair so I know what to look for as well. I just didn't quite understand what all a TPM does or covers since it feels like a new topic with Windows 11 around the corner of sorts. On a bit of a side note, if I just decide to keep using windows 10 past 2025, would Microsoft still notice a lot of users that refused to go to win11 for different reasons and still ship out support like they kindly did for windows 7?

USAFRet

Titan
Well I used to work in IT laptop and desktop repair so I know what to look for as well. I just didn't quite understand what all a TPM does or covers since it feels like a new topic with Windows 11 around the corner of sorts. On a bit of a side note, if I just decide to keep using windows 10 past 2025, would Microsoft still notice a lot of users that refused to go to win11 for different reasons and still ship out support like they kindly did for windows 7?
Unknown what the future holds for Win 10 past 2025.

Here is an overview on the TPM
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...otection/tpm/trusted-platform-module-overview

Microsoft has actually been pushing that for several years. The manufacturers blew them off.
Now, MS is making it a requirement for Win 11.

If it's just about changing hardware then no, it is not needed, ever.
You can use sysprep to generalize an image removing all drivers for non standard hardware.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...alize--a-windows-installation?view=windows-11

Also all mayor cloning apps have this as an option if doing it manually sounds too difficult.
For example.
https://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50144.aspx

USAFRet

Titan
If it's just about changing hardware then no, it is not needed, ever.
You can use sysprep to generalize an image removing all drivers for non standard hardware.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...alize--a-windows-installation?view=windows-11

Also all mayor cloning apps have this as an option if doing it manually sounds too difficult.
For example.
https://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50144.aspx
As opposed to all the knuckleheads we see here who slap the old drive into new hardware, and it fails.

Yes, there is sysprep, and MR has the ReDeploy function.
Now....get everyone to actually try that and not screw it up.

"not needed, ever" is a mighty bold statement.

Reactions: Corwin65