[SOLVED] Disabling Turbo Boost (or its equivalent) on the Ryzen 7 4800 H

Sep 19, 2020
Hi guys, so basically I was able to disable the boost clock of my Ryzen 7 4800H on my Lenovo Legion 5 by tweaking a few things on the registry to make the toggle appear in battery settings. With boost it clocks at 4.2 Ghz, and without it runs at base clock of 2.9 Ghz. Now the primary reason I would want to disable the boost clock is because I don't want the fans spinning like crazy all the time, thereby decreasing turbulent airflow and dust accumulation, but also for better thermals, as it still clocks to 4.2 Ghz even when I'm just browsing the net or watching videos. Now my question is, will it cause damage to my processor if I switch in between these modes? Because I turn the boost back on just before i game to get max performance but shut it down afterwards with hardware longevity in mind. Is constantly switching between these states gonna cause damage to my CPU? thanks for the replies

View: https://imgur.com/a/yfTvZa8

Solution
will it cause damage to my processor if I switch in between these modes?
Is constantly switching between these states gonna cause damage to my CPU?
It's fine. Doesn't damage anything.
CPU is switching to low power state all the time, when idle,
and to higher power state, when under load. You're just taking more control over the process.
will it cause damage to my processor if I switch in between these modes?
Is constantly switching between these states gonna cause damage to my CPU?
and to higher power state, when under load. You're just taking more control over the process.

Reactions: Lemuel Buenviaje
Solution
Sep 19, 2020
thanks so much for this! So the switch between modes isn't abrupt or jarring in terms of power draw or changes in clock speed for the processor? it's just me being meticulous and a bit paranoid, apologies. Because this is a graduation gift that i paid a third of the price for, and I intend to make it last for a long time