Hi
I bought 2x16 RAM 3000MHz G.Skill Trident Z RGB today
my system spec is :
-------------------------
Core i9 9900k
GTX 1070ti
MB Asus Z390-A Prime
-------------------------
I don't have any OC background so my question may sound stupid!
my older ram didn't support XMP and this is my first journey😂
I select XMP 2 Profile and everything is OK
run Prime95 30 Min and it's stable
but when I disable XMP in BIOS, restart and boot to windows, I get BSOD. when I turn it on (XMP) it fixes and there is no BSOD anymore!

to fix this (disable XMP with no BSOD) I have 2 options
  1. Load BIOS default config
  2. create a profile with off XMP and when I load that profile XMP disabled and I wont get any BSOD.
the weird thing is when I disable XMP and restart (further it leads to BSOD) then go to bios and load my off XMP profile, then save it (it says no changes applied to bios!!!!!!) then reboot and I get no BSOD!!!! IT SAID NO CHANGES but it fixed!!

I had a similar problem before
1 Month ago when I OC My CPU to higher clock speed, system got unstable and I undo all the changes which I made for OC but it was still unstable. it fixed after I load default bios.

I think when I OC something cant get it down to previous state sometimes!

I update the bios but it does not fixed
I don't thing it is a hardware problem! is it?

Last edited:
Solution
May be a bios firmware issue then, auto settings not completely sticking in cmos on the other side of reboot.

Bios update may address it but if system works fine leaving XMP on then really you don't need to do anything. What do you do that requires changing back and forth XMP?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
XMP configures parameters so the ram can operate properly at it's rated speed by adjusting timings and voltage. Without XMP, the ram would run at default speed, somewhere around 2133 and using lower voltage of 1.2v compared to XMP's 1.35v. Usually running ram without XMP shouldn't bsod as all ram conform to memory standards (Jedec) up to a certain speed of 2666. Over that and a voltage bump is required which is what XMP does.

Bad Sector

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013
XMP configures parameters so the ram can operate properly at it's rated speed by adjusting timings and voltage. Without XMP, the ram would run at default speed, somewhere around 2133 and using lower voltage of 1.2v compared to XMP's 1.35v. Usually running ram without XMP shouldn't bsod as all ram conform to memory standards (Jedec) up to a certain speed of 2666. Over that and a voltage bump is required which is what XMP does.
and they work properly
the problem is when I enable XMP, cant disable it easily. for disabling I have to reset bios or load my previous profile.
turning back AI Tweaker mode from XMP 2 to auto cause BSOD on boot.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
May be a bios firmware issue then, auto settings not completely sticking in cmos on the other side of reboot.

Bios update may address it but if system works fine leaving XMP on then really you don't need to do anything. What do you do that requires changing back and forth XMP?

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS