Disadvantages and when not to use

Ryan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Hi, we would like to deploy terminal services within our
organisation, and i would like to know of instances where
it is advised not to use Terminal Services, i have trawled
the web with little success, can anyone point me at a
resource where i can get this information.

Thanks
Ryan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 06:39:50 -0700, "Ryan"

>Hi, we would like to deploy terminal services within our
>organisation, and i would like to know of instances where
>it is advised not to use Terminal Services, i have trawled
>the web with little success, can anyone point me at a
>resource where i can get this information.

First and foremost, you need to personally test the applications in
use on your network, and decide which ones run acceptably and which do
not. In most cases it will become quickly apparent which applications
don't play nice with TS.

Having said that, graphically intensive programs perform poorly on TS,
as do most multimedia applications. Running very large Access
databases on the server can also cause problems in my experience.

I prefer to use TS for very task-oriented users or for remote users.
By "task-oriented" I mean users that tend to use one or two
applications only to get their job done, e.g., secretaries, front desk
staff, doctors, data entry clerks, and so forth. Power users tend to
do better with their own workstations because they can have a large
affect on other users when using TS.

Since the majority of staff in most companies are task-oriented users
you can usually save a significant amount of resources by moving them
to TS and leaving the rest where they are.

P.S. Try to keep your TS servers very focused on providing a small but
well-tuned set of applications to a target user population. I've found
that this can save a lot of head-ache in terms of long-term management
of the servers and hosted applications.

---
Puryear Information Technology, LLC
Baton Rouge, LA
225-343-3056
http://www.puryear-it.com

Author of "Best Practices for Managing Linux and UNIX Servers"
Download your free copy:
http://www.puryear-it.com/manage-linux.htm