[SOLVED] disadvantages of patch panel in a home network setting?

Oct 31, 2020
Hello all,

I started a thread earlier on how to setup patch panel in small home networking setting and received lots of people recommending patch panel for good cable organization and different ideas on how to make the connections.

But are there any disadvantages of having patch panel in home network setup esp. for someone like me who will not touch and modify the network in the future once first setup?

I can think of few:
1.add extra cost to equipment setup because I need to buy patch panel and frame that panel can mount on
  1. add another layer of complexity to the network. Instead of ethernet cable connect directly to switch, patch cables are needed to connect from panel to switch. As result, more cost is added to buy patch panel and add another point of error at patch panel keystone jack + RJ45 jack.
  2. If the cable are stranded type, then more difficult to finish them in keystone jack on patch panel

What do you guys think? Any disadvantages?

Solution
usually, cables used for structured network (inside walls etc), are sold in big reels of 1000ft / 300m.
the conductor inside is solid copper.
it's great for conducting signals over long distance (100m for cat5e on 100mbps for exemple), but the cable don't like to be moved very much.

Also usually it's part of how projets are done at work, it's not the same team that install the cabling and the switchs. so the cabling team installs a patch pannel to terminate the cables so the network team can connect the switchs.

if you are absolutely sure to never touch the cables at the switch, you may save on the patch pannel yeah, but really you would save like 50 bucks... not worth the hassle IMHO

In my basement, i didn't used a patch panel, but...

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
usually, cables used for structured network (inside walls etc), are sold in big reels of 1000ft / 300m.
the conductor inside is solid copper.
it's great for conducting signals over long distance (100m for cat5e on 100mbps for exemple), but the cable don't like to be moved very much.

Also usually it's part of how projets are done at work, it's not the same team that install the cabling and the switchs. so the cabling team installs a patch pannel to terminate the cables so the network team can connect the switchs.

if you are absolutely sure to never touch the cables at the switch, you may save on the patch pannel yeah, but really you would save like 50 bucks... not worth the hassle IMHO

In my basement, i didn't used a patch panel, but instead i used a standard wall mounted electric box with a plate of 6 female RJ45. looks nice and inexpensive.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Hello all,

I started a thread earlier on how to setup patch panel in small home networking setting and received lots of people recommending patch panel for good cable organization and different ideas on how to make the connections.

But are there any disadvantages of having patch panel in home network setup esp. for someone like me who will not touch and modify the network in the future once first setup?

I can think of few:
1.add extra cost to equipment setup because I need to buy patch panel and frame that panel can mount on
  1. add another layer of complexity to the network. Instead of ethernet cable connect directly to switch, patch cables are needed to connect from panel to switch. As result, more cost is added to buy patch panel and add another point of error at patch panel keystone jack + RJ45 jack.
  2. If the cable are stranded type, then more difficult to finish them in keystone jack on patch panel
As long as the patch panel is well documented and labeled, there is not any real negatives. There is minor cost for patch cables, but there is flexibility in length.

Reactions: randy_o
Hello all,

I can think of few:

I would argue that it doesn't add more complexity, but rather just another point of failure.

Instead it actually declutters and adds organization. You can label each port to the corresponding outlet on the other side, which significantly reduces complexity for anyone else in the future that may work on your network or move into you home.

Ralston18

Titan
Another advantage of a patch panel is that once the infrastructure wires are properly punched in then the wires are there "to stay".

Over time some of the punches may need to be punched back into place or even cut out and completely redone. That is quite doable especially if the original installer left a service loop.

Problems can first be addressed by swapping in known working patch cables between the patch panel and router or switch...

Plus if the router or switch needs to be moved a bit you can simply use longer patch cables.

Far easier than trying to deal with a bundle of RJ45 plugs sticking out of the wall. And if one of those network cables needs to be re-terminated then all you can do is hope that enough slack (service loop) is available to do so.

And labels are indeed important: 1) on the patch panel, 2) on the Ethernet cable itself (both ends), and lastly 3) on the wall jack. Permanent markings....

Even if you are not concerned about future network work or home occupants remember Mr. Murphy.

You think you may never need to deal with some future, potential problem - Mr. Murphy has other plans.....