Disallowing delete in special file access and saving in word

On an NT network I am trying to stop a user deleting files from a shared folder but allowing them to read and write.

I have set the appropriate permissions under special file access by taking the tick out of delete which is fine and stops that user deleting files, so that part of it worked.

However I have since discovered that the user is unable to save any new Word files and gets access denied every time they try to save a document (although it does create a file with the name typed in but it is an empty file).

This is very annoying and I don't know if it is a setting in Word I have wrong or in NT. I did think it might be to do with Word's autorecover but turning that off did not solve it. Now I am stuck.

Can anyone help - it's probably simple and I am being stupid but I have looked at it for hours and come up with nothing.

Tim Ellwood wrote:

> On an NT network I am trying to stop a user deleting files from a shared folder but allowing them to read and write.
>
> I have set the appropriate permissions under special file access by taking the tick out of delete which is fine and stops that user deleting files, so that part of it worked.
>
> However I have since discovered that the user is unable to save any new Word files and gets access denied every time they try to save a document (although it does create a file with the name typed in but it is an empty file).
>
> This is very annoying and I don't know if it is a setting in Word I have wrong or in NT. I did think it might be to do with Word's autorecover but turning that off did not solve it. Now I am stuck.
>
> Can anyone help - it's probably simple and I am being stupid but I have looked at it for hours and come up with nothing.

Tim, this has been vexing admins for years. Office apps (and many
other, for that matter) need to be able to delete files in order to save
them. Just a fact of life that we live with.

Some mitigating actions could be to make sure you have reliable and
frequent backups and/or you could set the inherited delete perms to
CREATOR/OWNER so that someone can save their own new files and modify
existing files that they created but not that of others.

hth
--
Ricardo M. Urbano
Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP