[SOLVED] Disappearing Drive letters

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Greetings all,

Lately and maybe every 1-2 weeks, my 2 external drives letters assignment disappears and I have to go into Windows Disk Manag. to reassign them.

While it's not such a big deal, it's annoying and make me wonder why it happens.
This happens with 2 external drives, A WD Elements (2 TB) and a WD Passport (1 TB).

The chance of both going bad at the same time is minuscule, so what else could be happening?

I do safely eject the drives after use and they are not running 24 / 7

The computer, despite its age, runs exceptionally well, I can play all games without lag / stutter, no Windows/ other crashes in years maybe, and no other problems whatsoever.

I am attaching a shot of the Disk Management (after fixing the drive letter issue)

View: https://imgur.com/a/LocK7wA

PC Specs:
Windows 10
i7-4790
MSI Z97 -Gaming 5
16 GB RAM DR3
GTX 1660 Super
Corsair TX850M

Lutfij

Titan
Corsair TX850M
How old is the PSU in your build?

MSI Z97 -Gaming 5
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Might want to see if reinstalling your chipset drivers helps in alleviating the issue. What OS are you working with?

This happens with 2 external drives, A WD Elements (2 TB) and a WD Passport (1 TB).
The chance of both going bad at the same time is minuscule,

I've had a multitude of WD drives fail on me for both internal and external drives. Some even came dead on arrival. How old are your drives in question?

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Corsair TX850M
How old is the PSU in your build?

MSI Z97 -Gaming 5
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Might want to see if reinstalling your chipset drivers helps in alleviating the issue. What OS are you working with?

The chance of both going bad at the same time is minuscule,

I've had a multitude of WD drives fail on me for both internal and external drives. Some even came dead on arrival. How old are your drives in question?

Thanks for your reply

I am using the latest AMI BIOS available for this board: 1.D- 2016-02-17
PSU age: 4 years
External drives age: 3 years