Disappointed with the MSI 770 Lightning

kylehpc

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Recently bought the MSI 770 Lightning off of Newegg for around $375 and had it arrive it in the mail a few days ago.

So far, I'm not impressed. I bought the lightning edition specifically for over clocking which seems to be more difficult then I expected. I'll go into more detail in a bit.

Without the overclocking, it's still nothing special. I can't max out AC Black Flag on 1080p without any lag. About an average of 35 fps. Same with Hitman Absolution.

Back to the overclocking, when ever I open up MSI Afterburner, it doesn't allow me to put my core voltage above +12. Also, if I move the core clock and memory clock even up by 20 my games crash.

Has anyone had any of these problems, or have any suggestions?

Jared Jensen

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Have you monitored your Temps? Also make sure that you're PSU is good enough to handle your card overclocked. I think the minimum recommendation is 600w but you should also have a good Quality PSU. What are the rest of your specs? If your CPU is bottlenecking your graphics card then that can explain the poor performance.

jay2577

Honorable
The MSI 770 Lightning comes already overclocked so overclocking will be limited.
You are getting the same frames per second as my friend and i lent him my old AMD 7850 to play it. Although he can't use the Nvidia only settings.
You definitely have an issue if it's affecting Hitman Absolution as well.
Can you post your full system specifications please including make/model of your power supply unit?

kylehpc

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

I used a 650 TI before and hardly getting better performance which is odd imo.
Sure, here are the rest of my specs:

My Processor: AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

MOBO: MSI 990FXA-GD65

Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 650W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Also running 16GB of ram, if that matters.

jay2577

Honorable
You have a nice computer build:D
You might be experiencing driver problems of some kind. Maybe some driver setting which wasn't removed from your old Nvidia drivers.

Well i hope you did do a fresh driver install:)

Anyway first thing to try would be to uninstall the drivers using a driver sweeper to get rid of any trace and then download the newest drivers and do a fresh install.

You can get a driver sweeper program from here or use one of your own choosing.
http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html

Please post back after you have tried this and let me know the results

ZippyPinhead

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
So your basically going from a GTX 650 ti to a GTX 680......??? Not exactly a huge upgrade is it? Im surprised you didn't just save up some more case and go with a GTX 780 at least which can be had for under $500 now...........at least IMO that would have been a worthwhile upgrade.

jay2577

Honorable
He upgraded to a Nvidia GTX770 and it is a big upgrade!

ZippyPinhead

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Average performance should be roughly double after looking over the spec's...........but it still doesn't mean that for the games the OP is playing that performance will be great necessarily. It could still be substandard for the settins he wants to run. I still think he should have saved up another $100 for a 780, or even wait longer to get into a 780 ti.

EvgaLover

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

you can't just ''send it back'' lol. If its opened and used, its opened and used.

Depends where he bought it from, alot of places (atleast where I am) have a return period where you can just send it back provided you haven't damaged it. Had a store offer to accept a card back once because it didn't work with the motherboard I wanted it to, despite the card not being at fault.

kylehpc

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
The 770 is a big improvement over the 650 TI for those saying it isn't.
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-770-vs-GeForce-GTX-650-Ti
Yeah, I probably should have got a 780, but I couldn't spare the extra cash when I bought it. I still think the 770 should be able to pull more then what I'm getting at the moment. Also, I listed my specs above.. and I'd say they're good enough specs to be running this card just fine.

kylehpc

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

My friend just bought a Zotac GTX 770, I have the MSI.. he's pulling ultra with 60 fps on AC 4 as well. I'll try reinstalling the drivers as said above.

EvgaLover

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
It shouldn't be the difference between msi and zotac because all they really do is just put their own coolers on and maybe factory overclock it abit, so shouldn't be anything different between you and your friends card

kylehpc

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

Do you think it could be a problem with the cpu maybe?

kylehpc

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

Yes I tried reinstalling the drivers etc, it's funny I can play Battlefield 4 and Ghosts at 60-130 fps no problem, but games like Planet side 2, GTA 4 etc I'm getting 30-40 fps?

jay2577

Honorable
I have never tried Planetside2 and played GTA 4 so long ago i can't remember what performance i had, or even what graphics card i was using when playing it:)
So i can't really help with those games but i remember that GTA 4 was not optimized at all well for the PC

TRENDING THREADS