Disappointing Samsung SSD Performance. Help.

Solution
You are running SATA 3g connections on that motherboard. It has a theoretical throughput under perfect conditions, which you'll never see, of 300 MB/s.

Looking at the numbers you're hitting, you're right where you should be. Your SSD can't go faster than the interface by which you're accessing it.

bjsm

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Hes right but i would still download the fix see if it improves the speed

bjsm

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Don't ignore it can still help, it is the same model as your ssd

bjsm

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Don't ignore it can still help, it is the same model as your ssd

SkylerJacobs

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
Solution
Those speeds are still 2.5 xthe speed of a good 7200rpm hard drive - what's disappointing you exactly ??
General performance or just the benchmark results??
If you're happy with the general speed of he system then its nonsensical to worry about benchmarks - its akin to the people moaning they cant hit 100fps+ on a 60htz screen IMO.
Just uninstall the benching software & forget about it.

SkylerJacobs

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015

It was the fact that the OP felt as if something was wrong with the drive itself. But since the drive is being limited by SATA II 3GB/s, the OP now knows why the drive is underperforming.

If my drive was performing that bad on SATA III 6GB/s, damn right i would be worried and would send my drive in to be replaced.

budgy

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Thank you everyone for the answers. I downloaded Samsung Magician and it helped a little...but it was limited to SATA II unfortunately. I'm very disappointed and should have researched before I bought the SSD drive.

Still worth having mate IMO - the only thing you did wrong was spending the extra on a high end evo model when a cheaper model would have done as well.
The seek & random access times make as much difference as the read/write speed & they're massively increased from a platter drive even on sata 2.

G

Don't be disappointed in the drive choice. If you play your cards right, you can upgrade your entire system to an intel g3258, new mobo and 16GB of ram all for ~$200 if you wait for the deals. Now could be the best time ever to buy purely on a price : performance ratio basis.

There's one thing else you can try while you save up the $200. Enable "RapidMode" in Samsung magician, if you trust your ram is solid and have 6GB+ already installed. It will act like a pseudo ram drive and give you a decent bump in performance. Just don't suddenly cut power to the pc. Or else.

budgy

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

It was actually the cheaper Samsung model. I chose Samsung because I heard it was the most reliable drive. I do alot of office work and my files are crucial to my job.

budgy

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

I saw this Rapid Mode on the Magician software. Can you please explain to me why suddenly cutting the power off will affect something? I want to use Rapide Mode but there are Warning signs everywhere and it gets me kind of nervous to enable it.