DISASSEMBLED: Sony's PS3 Slim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like someone just voided their warranty!

Its rather impressive how much they managed to shove in there, im curious if its going to have overheating issues with that much shoved it and not much space for airflow, only time will tell.

G

[citation][nom]a70l[/nom]where the heatsinks for the cpu?[/citation]

Last picture, bottom left. This is exactly the design most laptops use, most of the ones I've opened anyway.

OwinC

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
Well sense the kids have taken it apart. It is left to the grownups to put it all back together again.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
The chips are small, you're looking at a large heat-spreader.

Even on the inside, it has a fancy SONY logo on the cooling duct ;)

This is a very elegant design... over the original PS3. Far simpler than the 360.

Curious... how easy it is to replace/upgrade the Hard Drive. With the PS3-ORG being an access panel. The big photos of PS3-Slim shows what LOOKS like an access panel for the HD (and its in the right place compared to the internal photos) - on this article, it doesn't seem to work that way. There is a screw that holds the HD cage in place, preventing an easy access panel from working. But that screw could be optional.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]Really impressive to see so little stuff on the PCB... really interesting. Now, I understand why Sony made the new design and it is clear why they are saving a lot of money.[/citation]

Easy access hdd panel on the front vs fat PS3 with is on the back. Always had user replaceable hdd unlike the mess of an upgrade system MS has.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]Really impressive to see so little stuff on the PCB... really interesting. Now, I understand why Sony made the new design and it is clear why they are saving a lot of money.[/citation]

Quoted wrong person lmao.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]The chips are small, you're looking at a large heat-spreader.Even on the inside, it has a fancy SONY logo on the cooling duct This is a very elegant design... over the original PS3. Far simpler than the 360. Curious... how easy it is to replace/upgrade the Hard Drive. With the PS3-ORG being an access panel. The big photos of PS3-Slim shows what LOOKS like an access panel for the HD (and its in the right place compared to the internal photos) - on this article, it doesn't seem to work that way. There is a screw that holds the HD cage in place, preventing an easy access panel from working. But that screw could be optional.[/citation]

Did it twice........

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]I thought the Cell processor would much smaller, especially the 45nm.[/citation]

its called an Integrated Heat Spreader, the actual silicon could be smaller, but it's covered, unless you pry off that IHS you cannot tell the difference (they would most likely reuse the IHS from the non slim, its not a big deal having too much metal protection)

xeensd

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
The heat spreader was introduced in the x86 cpus with the Intel p4.
The metal plate "solved" several issues with ruined cpu's where heatsinks ruined the cpu. Another similar move was made by Intel when removing the pins from processors in the socket 775 series; less manufacturer risk; but i digress.

Status
Not open for further replies.