[SOLVED] Disassembling Lenovo L220x

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
Anyone know where I might find information on how to disassemble a Lenovo L220x?

Mine got fried by lightning and I'm hoping it's simply the fuse and I might be able to replace it.

I've taken the plastic casing off the monitor and then unscrewed the metal cover, but I can't fully remove it as it is attached at two places with cables and I'm unsure whether I can plug them off or whether I would break something by yanking on them.

Solution
Certainly possible, but it depends on what tools you have. The tools will cost more than a used monitor.

You would need a multimeter to look around for missing voltages, if the board it labeled. Otherwise it would take some knowledge and experience to look at the board and figure out what parts are doing what. To make an attempt at a repair you would be looking at a soldering iron, solder, possibly desoldering braid / or bulb to remove the old component, ordering a new component (where the major cost will be shipping), and some other basic tools.

And surface mount components are tiny, and can be quite tricky to deal with. Officially a hot air soldering iron would be the proper tool and stations like that cost several hundred dollars.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is a fairly cheap monitor, I would say go ahead and pick up a used panel from somewhere and call it a day.

Pretty common monitor, not going to be much value in people trying to fix them, so no teardown guides or videos.

It might be old enough to have a CFL backlight rather than LED, that can actually store enough voltage to kill you, so be wary of what you touch. If you do get it apart there might not be a dedicated fuse. In a lot of lower power devices they will use surface mount resistors in their place.

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
I've been able to disassemble one part of it and I've not found a fuse there, so you might be right. The part I've been able to disassemble is where the power switch wire goes to, so presumably that's where the fuse would be if there were one?

Presuming there is indeed a surface mount resistor in place of a fuse, is that something I might be able to replace myself and cheaply?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Certainly possible, but it depends on what tools you have. The tools will cost more than a used monitor.

You would need a multimeter to look around for missing voltages, if the board it labeled. Otherwise it would take some knowledge and experience to look at the board and figure out what parts are doing what. To make an attempt at a repair you would be looking at a soldering iron, solder, possibly desoldering braid / or bulb to remove the old component, ordering a new component (where the major cost will be shipping), and some other basic tools.

And surface mount components are tiny, and can be quite tricky to deal with. Officially a hot air soldering iron would be the proper tool and stations like that cost several hundred dollars.

Reactions: Dimitri001
Solution