[SOLVED] Disaster recovery options

evotz

Prominent
Jun 21, 2019
I've ordered a new Windows 10 laptop for a family member.

I'm trying to think of disaster recovery option - in the event that the hard drive ever fails or something like that.

Originally I had thought that I could use something like Ghost4Unix and create a ghost image of the hard drive before I set everything up. Then I'd have an exact 1:1 copy of the hard drive as it was brand new.

But then it dawned on me. You can download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft's website, correct? If I could get the product key of the Windows 10 that is installed on the laptop, save that, and then - if disaster recovery ever becomes necessary - I could just download the Windows 10 ISO and with the product key, reinstall Windows. Is that feasible?

Obviously any documents, pictures, etc. all need to be backed up on other media as well. But I'm just trying to think ahead should a complete disaster ever happen. Hopefully the hard drive never fails and I won't ever have to do anything. I'm just trying to think ahead. Always a good thing to have an idea of what your contingency plans are.

Solution
An image or copy of the system on Day 1 is OK.
But obviously, does nothing for ongoing data. And that is THE most important part.

My process is full drive backups, Macrium Reflect. once a night or once a week as needed.

Full drive recovery is easy.

And hard drive fail is only one of the ways your data can go awry.
Virus, ransomware, accidental deletion, etc, etc.

USAFRet

Titan
An image or copy of the system on Day 1 is OK.
But obviously, does nothing for ongoing data. And that is THE most important part.

My process is full drive backups, Macrium Reflect. once a night or once a week as needed.

Full drive recovery is easy.

And hard drive fail is only one of the ways your data can go awry.
Virus, ransomware, accidental deletion, etc, etc.

Solution

evotz

Prominent
Jun 21, 2019
Assuming that all other data is backed up.

Say the hard drive just fails.

If I have the Product ID key for that copy of Windows, can I buy a new hard drive, plug it in, download the Windows 10 ISO, boot that from a USB thumb drive, and install Windows 10 on the new drive using the saved Product ID key and be back in working condition?

USAFRet

Titan
Assuming that all other data is backed up.

Say the hard drive just fails.

If I have the Product ID key for that copy of Windows, can I buy a new hard drive, plug it in, download the Windows 10 ISO, boot that from a USB thumb drive, and install Windows 10 on the new drive using the saved Product ID key and be back in working condition?
Assuming Windows 10, reinstall on a replacement drive, in the same system, does not need the license key.
Its a good idea to have it, but a reinstall, in the same system, will activate itself.

Changing just the drive does not incur any licensing/activation issues.

And it is not the "Product ID", but rather the license key. They are different.