Disaster Strikes: How Is Data Recovered From A Dead Hard Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da_Man

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
one of my 2tb drive suddenly detected as RAW in my windows 8.1 machine, Luckily i manage to fix it using TestDisk (free) to repair my ntfs partition, and all its fine. only couple file is broken.

so always backup your drive :)

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
You people should always back up your data, and NEVER cloud data. Yes yes I know backing up data is tedious and takes precious time but you would never have to spend 3000-20k us dollars for recovery.

And besides, in RAID 5 you still lose data? You must have been beyond lazy to not figure out your 1st drive failed before the whole RAID collapsed. Shame on you, and let this be a lesson to the rest of you lazy IT's, TRUST me~ =(

ram1009

Distinguished
We all learn the backup lesson the hard way. It's in our DNA. Reading between the lines of this article it makes a strong case for SSDs. NO MOVING PARTS. I wish they had quoted some numbers on the average price to recover a single SSD vs a single HDD.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I do have critical data in 3 different drives, one is isolated and only gets connected for BUs, but I lost a year of information during back ups 2 times, years ago. This year however I am very close to add a second 2 tb to BU my 2 tb drive that is about 3 years old.

Dagstar

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Definitely an interesting read. I wonder what's been the weirdest, most embarassing, etc. data they've come across and recovered...

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
How do you click the images to view it in hi res? Everytime I click the image it either navigates forward or back on the slideshow. I'm using Google Chrome, if that makes a difference.

Aug 6, 2013
Lost Terrabytes of treasured data?
Been there; done that. almost got arrested and had my life turned upside down. Frustration can be heard three blocks away. :)
Thats putting it mildly.
SSD is the way forward; with RAID clone.

inchis

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
when I was working for www.inchis.com the server hard drive crashed and I tried so many methods, couldn't get it to work or get the data out. now my question is, does this really work or not

inchis

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
when I was working for www.inchis.com the server hard drive crashed, it was hell had to redo all the work from scratch. now when that happens to Zim free adverts I will simply throw the drive away, we got cloud

Status
Not open for further replies.