[SOLVED] Disconnect Hourly

Kao Tic

Honorable
Mar 27, 2015
Hello every Hour whenever im playing Games on my PC or in a Zoom meeting for classes, I disconnect hourly and i am unable to find a solution.
My router is a TP-Link Archer c6 if you guys are wondering.
I have tried increasing the DHCP lease time to 2880 minutes in my web Router settings - Still Disconnect Hourly
I have tried setting my MAC Address to the IP Reservation in my web Router settings - Still Disconnect Hourly
I have tried setting my Computer to Static IP via ipv4 in Network Connections (Windows 10) - Still Disconnect Hourly.
My family turns off the Router every Night around 2am at most so theres time for it to rest.
Please I need help and i feel like there are no Solutions.
This is a big inconvenience for me in a heat of the moment while Gaming or in a Crucial Point in my Zoom Class where im doing a test and randomly get Disconnected.
Thanks again :)

Also i cannot contact ISP, i would want to but seeming as im the only one affected in my family, they don't bother

Solution
but he’s using wifi in classes? So.. if he doesn’t have a 5 dbi... then ya the entire thing is based on signal.

= = = =

Overall your comment implies that if OP does not have 5 dBi router then that is the reason for hourly disconnects.

https://www.dipolnet.com/wireless_d...rcher_c6_ac1200_4x10-100-1000_mbps__N3255.htm

Check "Antennas" at the bottom of the link. And feel free to verify that I identified the correct router.

= = = =

The problem is hourly disconnects. OP is taking classes at home and getting disconnected for unknown reasons.

And although the category is "Wireless Networking" I am beginning to wonder if OP's network connectivity is wired or wireless.

OP has not...

Kao Tic

Honorable
Mar 27, 2015
If you set a static IP it can't be DHCP.

Can you tell what is disconnecting. What happens if you leave a ping run to your router IP. That should show you if it is a network issue in your house or if the wifi is dropping.

Hey i recently did
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
in command prompt and my lease times showing in ipconfig /all did update to two days instead of one hour interval, but im still disconnecting hourly whenever im gaming or in a zoom meeting, in addition i also asked my younger brother to test if he'll disconnect and he doesn't.
Could this be Windows 10 thinking to renew itself when the lease times were updated? or Anything like Firewall or settings that could possibly interfere?
Thanks Again!

Kao Tic

Honorable
Mar 27, 2015
Set it back to a static IP again. Make sure you used one that will not conflict, outside the dhcp range. In general you can use say 250. If your router is 192.168.0.1 user 192.168.0.250.

In this way you eliminate DHCP as the cause of the problem.
Hey i did set it back to a static ip after this message
I tried setting it in windows 10, got disconnected
so i tried reserving my ip in the web router settings both normal set ip and one ending with .250, still got disconnected

You must be putting in the gateway or subnet mask wrong if you get disconnected not sure this should be rather straight forward. I would put in 8.8.8.8. or 1.1.1.1 for your DNS server also.

Use the IPCONFIG /all and check what you are getting via the DHCP server. This will show you the network and mask etc.

This almost seems like you have something strange like mulitple dhcp servers in your network.

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
You must be putting in the gateway or subnet mask wrong if you get disconnected not sure this should be rather straight forward. I would put in 8.8.8.8. or 1.1.1.1 for your DNS server also.

Use the IPCONFIG /all and check what you are getting via the DHCP server. This will show you the network and mask etc.

This almost seems like you have something strange like mulitple dhcp servers in your network.

DNS resolvers are a substantial security risk

Ralston18

Titan
@microtank

OP's issue is hourly disconnects.

Key is to address the hourly network disconnect problem first. Security concerns are important, but those can be addressed later as a follow-up matter.

Troubleshooting via other DNS servers is vital to finding and resolving the issue.

And there are other troubleshooting measures that are available and viable.

Best addressed on a step by step basis as @bill001g has started.

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
So what dns provider do you feel is better. Google and cloudflare are actually the most secure the support encrypted DNS.
The ISP’s whether you find it secure or not. Once someone gets into google and cloud flare.. since most people use those a lot, I’ve seen gamers and employees of ISP’s recommend this nonsense and it barely does what people want it to do. A lot of the networking issues is the lack of knowledge of radio technologies, bandwidth, and not configuring the router.. or any other number of things. A DNS resolver will barely address the issue, if anything it’s just the latency that changes. Which is not even worth it due to the security risks. Init strings may address the issue as well, but that’s entirely depends on the device.

google is by far the worst place to find opinions and information and the fact people still recommend this company is a abysmal disaster.

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
@microtank

OP's issue is hourly disconnects.

Key is to address the hourly network disconnect problem first. Security concerns are important, but those can be addressed later as a follow-up matter.

Troubleshooting via other DNS servers is vital to finding and resolving the issue.

And there are other troubleshooting measures that are available and viable.

Best addressed on a step by step basis as @bill001g has started.

then try the 2nd DNS number by the ISP, and putting the first in 2nd slot.

but he’s using wifi in classes? So.. if he doesn’t have a 5 dbi... then ya the entire thing is based on signal.

The ISP’s whether you find it secure or not. Once someone gets into google and cloud flare.. since most people use those a lot, I’ve seen gamers and employees of ISP’s recommend this nonsense and it barely does what people want it to do. A lot of the networking issues is the lack of knowledge of radio technologies, bandwidth, and not configuring the router.. or any other number of things. A DNS resolver will barely address the issue, if anything it’s just the latency that changes. Which is not even worth it due to the security risks. Init strings may address the issue as well, but that’s entirely depends on the device.

google is by far the worst place to find opinions and information and the fact people still recommend this company is a abysmal disaster.
So you think some random ISP DNS will always be better than a very large hosting company. I strongly suspect from your responses you have never worked in the networking field or you have only worked for tiny companies. It seems you do not actually understand how DNS really works.
It doesn't really matter in this case. The recommendation to change the DNS is more to eliminate the ISP DNS as the source of the problem even though it is unlikely the cause. It would be much more likely some ISP dns server to be crashing than google.

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
So you think some random ISP DNS will always be better than a very large hosting company. I strongly suspect from your responses you have never worked in the networking field or you have only worked for tiny companies. It seems you do not actually understand how DNS really works.
It doesn't really matter in this case. The recommendation to change the DNS is more to eliminate the ISP DNS as the source of the problem even though it is unlikely the cause. It would be much more likely some ISP dns server to be crashing than google.
What you mean random ISP DNS numbers? No. I am talkin about the DNS numbers issued by the ISP. And insulting me, and the prejudice moderators not doin anything about it? Ya I don't care what you think. You barely offered a solution to this guy... Recommending google and cloudflare DNS resolvers... and then some how I know nothing about networking... Okay. Have fun

What you mean random ISP DNS numbers? No. I am talkin about the DNS numbers issued by the ISP. And insulting me, and the prejudice moderators not doin anything about it? Ya I don't care what you think. You barely offered a solution to this guy... Recommending google and cloudflare DNS resolvers... and then some how I know nothing about networking... Okay. Have fun
You are the one that side tracked all this on DNS. it is just one of the many things you try to change when you get strange issues like this. He has already eliminated all the common ones so you start to try stuff just to be sure.

You get insulted very easy if you think someone saying you are lacking training and knowledge is a insult.

Your recommendation of use the ISP DNS show you do not think outside your personal experience much. How do you know the OP has a good ISP. Sure he could have verizon or telia but he could also have some little known ISP In india. The recommendation to try to use google or cloudflare is because these tend to work well in most part of the world and are much more consistent than between random internet providers.

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
You are the one that side tracked all this on DNS. it is just one of the many things you try to change when you get strange issues like this. He has already eliminated all the common ones so you start to try stuff just to be sure.

You get insulted very easy if you think someone saying you are lacking training and knowledge is a insult.

Your recommendation of use the ISP DNS show you do not think outside your personal experience much. How do you know the OP has a good ISP. Sure he could have verizon or telia but he could also have some little known ISP In india. The recommendation to try to use google or cloudflare is because these tend to work well in most part of the world and are much more consistent than between random internet providers.

may you have it all figured out man. I side track about DNS servers, while you are talkin about DNS numbers. And to top it all off you use google... yep you got me surrounded with a wealth of superiority and you are very googleducated

Ralston18

Titan

= = = =

Overall your comment implies that if OP does not have 5 dBi router then that is the reason for hourly disconnects.

https://www.dipolnet.com/wireless_d...rcher_c6_ac1200_4x10-100-1000_mbps__N3255.htm

Check "Antennas" at the bottom of the link. And feel free to verify that I identified the correct router.

= = = =

The problem is hourly disconnects. OP is taking classes at home and getting disconnected for unknown reasons.

And although the category is "Wireless Networking" I am beginning to wonder if OP's network connectivity is wired or wireless.

OP has not posted "ipconfig/all" nor (in all fairness) was there a request to do. However, there has not been any comment by OP regarding what was found with respect to the network and subnet settings. (Reference Post #6.) OP has tried many things (Post #1) and the hourly disconnects continue. There are questions to be asked there as well.....

Plus there are other pending questions: family turning off the router every night to "rest"? OP's PC is apparently the only device affected by the disconnects.

Your Post #7 was not helpful to the question(s) at hand nor was throwing in "5dBi" in Post #13.

And be careful about your tone.

E.g.: "may you have it all figured out man. I side track about DNS servers, while you are talkin about DNS numbers. And to top it all off you use google... yep you got me surrounded with a wealth of superiority and you are very googleducated".

Summary: Focus on helpful comments and suggestions to OP's and other thread participants. Stay in context and there is no need to be snide or insulting.

Please allow this thread to get back on track.

= = = =

I believe we are waiting on OP to try 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 as the DNS server (Post #6).

@Kao Tic

Please try as requested by @bill001g. I will only add the request that you run and post "ipconfig /all" as well.

Solution