Disconnected CPU now computer wont completely boot :(

LtDan1990

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Hey guys!

So, I'm running an ASUS CG 1330. Yesterday I was doing routine cleaning of dust and such, and I removed my CPU fan, and the fin block (unsure of the real name) and the CPU chip came with it (Copper plate with a billion little pins). I replaced it the best I could, reassembled my PC. When I booted, my CPU fan ran, my graphics card fan runs, the ASUS light on the front illuminates, but the power button stays off and there is no Monitor or USB output! I'm covered under warranty, but bc the hardware maybe messed up due to my tampering it is void, so now I am faced with learning more about computers and fixing this myself. Help!

Thanks a million,

LtDan

Solution
Checkout this page for advice on inserting your CPU correctly:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building

The following is an excerpt from that guide.

Install CPU

Remove the CPU from the box/protective covering.
Intel

Unlock the CPU socket arm. Generally there will be a small plastic or metal arm that lies on the side of the CPU socket. To unlock it, just push it out and then pull it up.
Remove the CPU socket cover.
Align the triangle on the top of the CPU to with the corresponding corner on your motherboard's CPU socket and gently lower the CPU into the socket. Be aware, there should be no pushing or snapping involved in this process. The CPU, if correctly aligned, should simply fall (gently!) into...

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
It happened to me once and I was pretty scared I would have ruined the cpu. CPU's are very very easy to damage them. Although try this: Remove your cpu fan again, same as for the cpu , take a closer look and see if there's something apparently broken. If it is not check your cpu pins matching the board slot and put it again. Now find the board's battery and take it off, wait 30 seconds and put it again. Hopee it helps

remove the cpu and look for a bent pin. if there all ok then make sure your putting it in , the correct way round. 1s done attach the hsf and check all the wires. make sure you have the 20/4 pin correctly connected and the 4/8 pin atx is secure... when you plug them in make sure you push the wires as well as the connector block to make sure.
check the ram and any other component that may have potentially worked loose.

the cpu specifically should line up with a nipple in the socket just drop it in then use the lever to move and lock it down. 1s done it should be locked in place so give it a firm jiggle to make sure it is actually locked down correctly...

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Checkout this page for advice on inserting your CPU correctly:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building

The following is an excerpt from that guide.

Install CPU

Remove the CPU from the box/protective covering.
Intel

Unlock the CPU socket arm. Generally there will be a small plastic or metal arm that lies on the side of the CPU socket. To unlock it, just push it out and then pull it up.
Remove the CPU socket cover.
Align the triangle on the top of the CPU to with the corresponding corner on your motherboard's CPU socket and gently lower the CPU into the socket. Be aware, there should be no pushing or snapping involved in this process. The CPU, if correctly aligned, should simply fall (gently!) into place.
Lower and lock the socket arm, which in turn will lock your CPU into your motherboard.

AMD

Align the triangle on the top of the CPU to with the corresponding corner on your motherboard's CPU socket and gently lower the CPU into the socket. Be aware, there should be no pushing or snapping involved in this process. The CPU, if correctly aligned, should simply fall (gently!) into place.
Lower and lock the socket arm, which in turn will lock your CPU into your motherboard.

Solution

LtDan1990

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Hey guys! Thank you so so sososososo much for those last two replies! My CPU was just not seated correctly! I owe you guys! Now time for some hard core D3! It lives and thinks and breathes :)