[SOLVED] Disconnecting a 3rd display with a hotkey.

Yhetii

Reputable
May 17, 2017
First off I am on Windows 10.
My main monitor is a 2560 x 1440 connected to the display port.
Secondary monitor is an old 1080 dell connected to the a DVI port.
Last is my TV that is 40+ inches that is connected to the HDMI port.
All these are connected to my 980ti graphics card.
So, what I mainly use is my main and secondary monitor, but I like to watch things on my TV using my PC so I reach behind it and connect the HDMI cable and disconnect it when I am finished watching. I would assume having that large screen on all the time is not great for my graphics card especially while gaming, that's why I plug and unplug it so often. What I am hoping is that there is a way to hotkey a keyboard button to disconnect the TV when pressed, then reconnect when pressed again.
Also, If I disconnect it manually by going to the "screen resolution" setting and choosing the option "disconnect this display" will that still effect my graphics card performance in any way?
Would the Best option to just keep doing what I am doing and unplugging the HDMI from my computer? Or should I disconnect via settings and selecting "disconnect this display"? And is there a way to hotkey it to only disconnect my TV when I press a keyboard button?

Solution
disabling the screen through the settings is the best way to go about it. once disconnected, the gpu is no longer feeding it anything which makes it the same thing as physically unplugging it from the card.

plugging and unplugging it in over and over can eventually lead to the port messing up or at the least the cable not fitting as tightly as it should. you can make your own hotkey combo if you wish but it's pretty quick to get to the display settings.

i run the same thing myself and simply turn it on when i want to watch and the off again when done. only takes a few seconds. windows 10 (and i guess win 11 as well) has a step recorder that can allow you to make a hotkey but i have never really gotten it to work that well the few...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
disabling the screen through the settings is the best way to go about it. once disconnected, the gpu is no longer feeding it anything which makes it the same thing as physically unplugging it from the card.

plugging and unplugging it in over and over can eventually lead to the port messing up or at the least the cable not fitting as tightly as it should. you can make your own hotkey combo if you wish but it's pretty quick to get to the display settings.

i run the same thing myself and simply turn it on when i want to watch and the off again when done. only takes a few seconds. windows 10 (and i guess win 11 as well) has a step recorder that can allow you to make a hotkey but i have never really gotten it to work that well the few times i played around wit it.

Solution