Disconnecting and reconnecting HDD, SSD

Dec 30, 2018
Okay I have a new HDD and I want to move all the storage from the old HDD to the new HDD. But I don't have another SATA and Power connector. So my question is this:

If I were to disconnect my SSD, which only has some game files on it, would I be able to connect my new drive in it's place, boot up, perform the massive data transfer, shut down, remove the old HDD and plug the new HDD in it's place and reconnect the SSD.

OR

To use the SSD cables do I need to use a different sata port on the motherboard to perform the transfer and then reconnect the SSD in it's original place and then connect the new HDD into a port that is different from the old HDD. I do have 2 free SATA ports.

I just don't know how my windows computer will react when I boot up with a different drive connected and the SSD disconnected to then having the new HDD in the old HDD place and the SSD connected again.

Can anyone give some insight into what a proper procedure is for replacing a HDD when you only have 2 SATA connectors?

Solution
For the normal files....First thing should be no problem there's no need of 2 method as there's no point in it
But remember it's always good to install Operating System ones again unless you want to end up with BSOD and various system crashes. Because some files may not give you permissions to move or copy... so why taking the risk?

Dec 30, 2018

Oh all of the drives in question are just storage drives. OS is on a M.2.
So you're saying that if i boot up with my new HDD in the place of my SSD, I will be able to format it and then transfer without problems? And then placing the SSD back again and replacing the old HDD with the new HDD and boot up. The end goal is to have my PC exactly as it is but with a new drive in the old drives place, right.

Yes if you don't have Windows files there, go for it.... your good

Solution