Question Disconnecting GPU from laptop screen ?

Mar 19, 2024
Good morning. I have a very old laptop I am going to be using for a couple of weeks till I go back home. My question is: Is opening up the laptop to disconnect the GPU from the screen an actual thing I can do? (I believe I read somewhere online it does work, I need to confirm.) That way, I hope the external monitor gets defaulted as opposed to the internal laptop screen.

The laptop screen is cracked so the contents are intelligible, so I use an external monitor to do whatever I need to. I, however, purchased an SSD drive to swap the laptop's old HDD with, which should work but it needs some tweaking in the laptop BIOS which is easy enough but the laptop only uses its own screen to show the BIOS settings, making any changes there impossible to perform.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

was a guide I write up a long while back but the principle/concept stays the same. You should be able to trigger the laptop to boot to OS while on the external panel. Then while on the external panel, shut down and then disconnect from the external panel safely.