Question Disconnectingcase fans doesn't seem to affect temperature, why?

Aug 13, 2019
Hi

I have i7 4790k with Hyper 212 LED radiator

My friend got me a pretty loud case fans, which at some point got me so annoyed that I decided to disconnect all them, leaving only radiator fan and CPU_OPT fan(which is technically a case fan I guess), well, temperatures don't seem to be affected by fans(or I'm just missing something important here as I've only been paying attention to CPU temp), CPU might have been even a bit cooler with only these two fans running

This is professional drawing of my case and how fans are set up: View: https://imgur.com/VwoHfSN

I have to add that I have no more slots for adding any additional fans, I know that I should have fan on top front of my case but this is just not possible

(all fans are 120mm)

Have I missed something? Or is something wrong with my cooling? Also, is it possible that my case fans will be quieter if I replace them with be quiet pure wings 2 fans for example? Because now it sounds like a vacuum cleaner, while with only 2 fans mentioned before connected it makes almost no sound, because of that I feel bad connecting my current case fans again as this will cause an abysmal amount of noise(they literally go like 1200RPM when playing CS:GO)

Hyper 212 is a heatsink cooler, not a radiator. Perhaps something has been lost in translation?

This is professional drawing of my case and how fans are set up:

LOL.

Seriously though, this is probably a relatively easy one.

The first thing you need to do is disconnect the fan on top that is closest to the front. It is likely "stealing" air from your CPU cooler, which means that your 212 EVO is having to use air drawn upwards from the area around the graphics card, which is going to be warmer air, and that basically doesn't change when you turn off the case fans.

Also, you will want to double check and make absolutely certain that the bottom and bottom-front fans are actually bringing air IN, in an intake configuration, and that the rear and top-rear fans are actually taking air OUT, in an exhaust configuration. I've seen a lot of instances where people THOUGHT that was how it was configured, only to find out that some of the fans were facing the wrong direction.

Take that top-front fan out of the equation and you will likely see at least a marginal improvement in the air path and temperatures.

Also, what is your case model? Is the internal cable management done well, or does cable management not exist in this build? Are there drive cages in the way of the air path?

Hi

I have i7 4790k with Hyper 212 LED radiator

My friend got me a pretty loud case fans, which at some point got me so annoyed that I decided to disconnect all them, leaving only radiator fan and CPU_OPT fan(which is technically a case fan I guess), well, temperatures don't seem to be affected by fans(or I'm just missing something important here as I've only been paying attention to CPU temp), CPU might have been even a bit cooler with only these two fans running

This is professional drawing of my case and how fans are set up: View: https://imgur.com/VwoHfSN

I have to add that I have no more slots for adding any additional fans, I know that I should have fan on top front of my case but this is just not possible

(all fans are 120mm)

Have I missed something? Or is something wrong with my cooling? Also, is it possible that my case fans will be quieter if I replace them with be quiet pure wings 2 fans for example? Because now it sounds like a vacuum cleaner, while with only 2 fans mentioned before connected it makes almost no sound, because of that I feel bad connecting my current case fans again as this will cause an abysmal amount of noise(they literally go like 1200RPM when playing CS:GO)
Well, apparently at least your CPU doesn0t generate enough heat but are you sure rest of parts are not heating up ?

What is the make/model of your case?

You are probably getting sufficient cooling air into the case by simple convection. Heat rises.

Fan noise comes primarily by running at high rpm.

What is your graphics card?
Are you overclocking your 4790K.

I think I would just use the front and bottom fans.
Whatever fresh air they bring in will exit somewhere, taking cpu and gpu heat with it.
1200 rpm may not be as noticeable when located in the bottom or possibly the front.
How are the fans connected?
A 12v molex connection will always run at full speed.
There are ways to reduce fan speed to lower noise.
1000 rpm is quiet, 800rpm is all but inaudible.

Yes, there are differences in noise from different model fans, but, the differences are secondary to the rpm.
I think I would look at a case change before investing in different fans

Aug 13, 2019
Hyper 212 is a heatsink cooler, not a radiator. Perhaps something has been lost in translation?

LOL.

Seriously though, this is probably a relatively easy one.

The first thing you need to do is disconnect the fan on top that is closest to the front. It is likely "stealing" air from your CPU cooler, which means that your 212 EVO is having to use air drawn upwards from the area around the graphics card, which is going to be warmer air, and that basically doesn't change when you turn off the case fans.

Also, you will want to double check and make absolutely certain that the bottom and bottom-front fans are actually bringing air IN, in an intake configuration, and that the rear and top-rear fans are actually taking air OUT, in an exhaust configuration. I've seen a lot of instances where people THOUGHT that was how it was configured, only to find out that some of the fans were facing the wrong direction.

Take that top-front fan out of the equation and you will likely see at least a marginal improvement in the air path and temperatures.

Also, what is your case model? Is the internal cable management done well, or does cable management not exist in this build? Are there drive cages in the way of the air path?
Yeah in polish we call these things "radiators" so I've been freely using it referring to heatsink coolers

My case is Modecom Viper

My cable management doesn't exist since I had to change PSU myself so yeah, I've already guessed it might be a problem, it just takes some actual knowledge to do it right

All fans are blowing in right directions, I've triple checked this with toilet paper

Drive cages aren't an issue, my SSD is though as for now it's blocking low front fan from getting air in, it's mounted vertically in front of it with zip ties because I can't figure out how to mount it in drive cage, adapter bracket doesn't fit in

But I will try disconnecting top front fan to see what'll happen

Aug 13, 2019
What is the make/model of your case?

You are probably getting sufficient cooling air into the case by simple convection. Heat rises.

Fan noise comes primarily by running at high rpm.

What is your graphics card?
Are you overclocking your 4790K.

I think I would just use the front and bottom fans.
Whatever fresh air they bring in will exit somewhere, taking cpu and gpu heat with it.
1200 rpm may not be as noticeable when located in the bottom or possibly the front.
How are the fans connected?
A 12v molex connection will always run at full speed.
There are ways to reduce fan speed to lower noise.
1000 rpm is quiet, 800rpm is all but inaudible.

Yes, there are differences in noise from different model fans, but, the differences are secondary to the rpm.
I think I would look at a case change before investing in different fans

1. Modecom Viper

2. No overclocking done

3. GTX 1070 Zotac Mini

4. They are connected straight to mobo, and some ASUS Fan Expert 3 thing controls their speed so they run on about 500RPM when PC is idle I believe, though even then they are loud in a way, not because of air but these fans themselves are probably pretty low quality ones, that's why I thought of be quiet fans

If you can zip tie the SSD in back of the front fan you can zip tie it in the drive cage. And I would do that. Or, on the backside of the motherboard tray somewhere if there is room. Or any place other than in the path of the airflow from that fan.

That, and disconnecting that top-front fan would likely make at least a small change in temps, especially motherboard temps. There are more to temps that might be of concern than just the CPU. GPU and motherboard are just as important.