Disconnects from internet and freezing during high internet use

ffttggyy579

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014
Having an issue with my computer frequently disconnecting from the internet or even freezing during high internet use, like playing online game (both in browser and applications) and when its bad just simple stuff like watching twitch stream. Browser game touble started recently when norton was reinstalled but i didnt have this issues previously when norton was origionally on (duelingnetwork, very simple and not high demanding on the system, but when im on it, everything slows down, specific to my comp)

Happening over a long period of time (2 years or so), stopped for a while, cant recount exactly when cause i stopped playing games for ages, then got back and it was ok for a while then i reinstalled norton and its crapped out again.

Problem is specific to my computer as all other computer in the household work fine and can run all the game perfectly fine, (i am the only one with windows 8, everyone else is on windows 7 or lower).

Router has been detect my laptop attempting to flood the network and block my comp from re-connecting sometimes, sometime i just connect after 2-3 seconds of being dc-ed, other times i have to put laptop to sleep and back on, other time i have to do a full restart.

When i freeze i sometimes get weird a buzzing sound like something is stuck looping, this also happens when im about to get disconnected or i have when using my browser (firefox, sorry dont know if its specific to firefox, i have chrome just dont use it often).

I also find this problem to be fairly in-consistent, as sometime i can play 2-3 games of CS GO without an issue and other times as soon as i start a game im just disconnecting all over the place (for about 2-5 seconds at a time according to the disconnect notification in steam) untill i get blocked by my router and have to sleep and turn back on, or restart. (also using skype when doing this).

When playing league of legends, i can have my ping up, and every 30-60 seconds i'll my character will stop responding to what i do (move commands and abilities) but will continue doing whatever it was he was doing (following out the previous move command) and i will then be able to gain control again after about 2-10 seconds, and my ping will spike after i get control and then drop back down. This will happen a few times before i completly disconnect.

I am connected via an ethernet cable like every other computer in the house, and i have run the same applications causing the problem using the same ethernet cable and experience no problems (again they are on a different windows operating system)

i have turned off the wifi as well as put the laptop into airplane mode, i have done the "netsh winsock reset" command, didnt work, and i have done restores in the past, restoring it to back when i first got the laptop with nothing on it other that what the people in the shop had on it then installed the game, and still experience the same problem. ISP is telstra.

Not exactly tech savy so yeah, sorry, going to have to explain everything.
Thank you for the help and just ask for something if you need it, really want this problem fixed

Solution
they will basically tell you if any apps are accessing your network without your say so.
typically your antivirus will be the only 1 that will stay connected so if you have something showing up as unknown and doesnt have an associated app with it that you know is legit, then that may be the cause.

its pretty easy to follow and you can check any ip's you see that are remote connections.

ffttggyy579

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014

Ok, I could not find the HPET in the bios, but i could find it in device manager under system devices (assuming it stands for high precision event manager, sorry if it doesnt, im not tech savy and i literally havent got a clue what this is suppose to do). It was already enabled, i check to see if the drivers for it were up to date and it says they are, I then used the cmd promt as an admin "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true " as instructed by the link, restarted and started a game in league of legends, I was still getting those little sections where i lose control over the champion but i can see what hes doing, which i then followed by the ping indicator jumping up, i noticed these spikes were slightly shorter than usual, and ping wouldnt jump as high but i only tested for a while as i did eventually end up with a loss of connection again.

While looking up how to find and enable the HPET, i found some forums claiming they were getting better performance with it off, so i turned it off and restarted, didnt improve, if anything the performance declined.

So thank you for your input, but it didnt solve the problem, happy to try any other suggestions

in that case try disabling your firewall/antivirus and test again. it could be your firewall/antivirus is causing the ping bounce.
it could also be just crappy servers at the other end. a lot of these mmo's and older games tend to be on over subscribed servers that dont give the required bandwidth for the amount of players using it...
also check your ping a few times see if it varies on something like speedtest org. if its stable then its likely at the serverside (they may be running to much anticheat (punkbuster/pbbans/vac and so on)causing ping bounce when things like screenshots are taken to see if your using overlays(wallhax) all you can do in this case is go to a different serer.

as your sharing your connection it could be that some 1 else in the house is hogging bandwidth. they may be doing it inadvertantly with things like there antivirus phoning home. try disconnecting every 1 else while you test.

ffttggyy579

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014

Ah I dont know if i have full control over the net, as one of the computers is currently coping a drive over the network, and will be doing so all night. So i will test your solution tomorrow.

I do however have another thingo like this on another site, and they have suggested changing my LAN driver to one specific to the maker of my motherboard (asustek). I did that and it appears to have improved my disconnecting issue a lot but not completly, I now dont experience the little spikes where i cant control my champion and i only get the complete disconnect which now recover from now. I am also testing in CS GO which i am only disconnecting and reconnecting after about 10 seconds, no other lag and yet to experience a complete disconnect where i couldnt recover without restarting. Hope this helps with figuring out my problem or comming up with other solutions

So i will test with the fire wall off and everyone else off the network ASAP which should be tomorrow, sorry for the wait, and thank you so much for you help so far.

ffttggyy579

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014

Righteo, tested with the firewall on my computer off (norton) and this didnt make a difference, i also found that the solution of installing the drivers specific to the manufacturer of the motherboard (which appeared to have good results in helping the problem) only happened to be done coincidentally when the computer decided to let me actually play for a bit (further testing to see if heating was an issue today reveal that the problem is still going at the same level as i didnt even get 5 minutes into the game and was getting lag spike all over the place). Testing was also done with no one else on the network.

Open to any other suggestions, please.

ffttggyy579

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014

K, I'll run tests ASAP, and post the results here, sorry just I wont have a clue what any of it means

they will basically tell you if any apps are accessing your network without your say so.
typically your antivirus will be the only 1 that will stay connected so if you have something showing up as unknown and doesnt have an associated app with it that you know is legit, then that may be the cause.

its pretty easy to follow and you can check any ip's you see that are remote connections.

Solution