laserdragon23

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
So ominous title aside I've kind of tried everything to no avail with this and have yet to find a solution so let me explain the issue here and see if anyone has any clue whats going on.

So recently i decided to get a Xfinity service upgrade to the new Xfi wifi router gateway combo thing. Anyway since I've received it I've been having connection issues with things like discord and games when on the same connection as other people in my house. for example here's a common scenario, say I'm talking to my brother on the other side of the house and were using discord (we both have Ethernet connections directly to the router), randomly I notice hes gone quiet for a while and ill ask if he's still there. no response but i notice his discord icon has lit up green as if constantly talking, so I ask again and attempt to disconnect and reconnect to get his attention, nothing. so I ask him in chat to reconnect and suddenly its fine.

Ok cool issue fixed right? nope maybe for 10-30 minutes sometimes instantly Ill notice his discord icon go green and i wont be able to hear him anymore. The same issue happens on his side as well. this also happens in games too where when he disconnects I do as well or we wont be able to join the same games together. the errors usually just say connection issue and but we can immediately rejoin.

Now maybe we just have unstable internet but sometimes it only happens to one of us at a time. And while all of this is happening suddenly discord will do the green light of death and we both have to disconnect and reconnect to the discord server in order to hear again. So I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what is going on. here is a list of all the things I've tried so far to fix it;

Turning Off UPnP
Made new discord server
Changed discord regions (this half works to fix communication issues by im guessing resetting our communication server and restoring voice chat but is kind of a [censored] bandaid that falls off after 10 minutes and have to do again.)

Tried Reserving IPs for each of us
Tried one of us on Ethernet and one on wifi
Re-downloading discord
Attempted port forwarding discord (long shot didn't work at all)
turn off device discovery on windows itself and the gateway.
Tried asking Comcast support but the dude was more lost than us after turning off and on again didn't work
Asking for our old unit back that worked but It"Wont work with your new plan" its already been scrapped and they dont get them anymore.

Now maybe if it was just discord it would make more sense that i could just be that but its not its other games too so idk.

My last hope is just enabling bridge mode and getting a new router off amazon which comes tomorrow. Also this would be our 3rd router that we've received that seem like a refurbished unit and the problems happens on all of them so far. Sorry this is long but I didn't know where else to go. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Give Comcast a call tomorrow morning or on monday.
1 (800) 934-6489
Explain the problem to them and ask for a replacement cable modem that works.
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Giga...6591b03afc1027ff78ec16d0bfaf95&language=en_US
If money is not an issue, you could get your own modem, and give them back theirs under 30 day return policy.
It would save you an unneeded 6.00 - 10.00 modem rental charge with the 69.99 internet bill.