Question Discord eating up my 500mpbs connection. Also weirdly low upload.

Hargorold

Prominent
Jun 2, 2019
As my title says. My connection is fine when I just have discord in the background. Stable 500mpbs down. But when I start a convo or join a server. Even with with just one person. It dips down to the 100s or even as low as 20-30 mpbs. Also my upload is supposed to be 500 too and ive had result of that in testing before. But right now its chilling around 60ish. Tried rebooting router and installed new drivers etc.

It could be a upload problem since that is one of the difference in discord and other applications.

Try a steam download and limit steam to say 20mbps. You should still get good speedtest numbers. Upload is a little harder to find something to test with. Maybe upload files to one of the free cloud storage sites.

All I can think of is you are getting errors on the connection.

To rule out the PC try to run speedtest say on a wifi phone. It obviously will be limited by the wifi but it should show if it is network traffic doing it or if it is some software issue. If you have a second wired pc you could try that also.

Hargorold

Prominent
Jun 2, 2019
It could be a upload problem since that is one of the difference in discord and other applications.

Try a steam download and limit steam to say 20mbps. You should still get good speedtest numbers. Upload is a little harder to find something to test with. Maybe upload files to one of the free cloud storage sites.

All I can think of is you are getting errors on the connection.

To rule out the PC try to run speedtest say on a wifi phone. It obviously will be limited by the wifi but it should show if it is network traffic doing it or if it is some software issue. If you have a second wired pc you could try that also.
Thanks for reply. The problem has taken a new form alltogether. I dont have any internet at all now. I tried restarting the router and the main box for my fiber connection. After that its completely stopped working. Through the router i get issues with dns message. If i go straight into fiber box on the wall it says the ip config is wrong.

Last edited:
Not sure on fiber converter boxes. I know cable boxes you must reboot the cable box and whatever device you attach first will be the one that gets the ip address. Worst case try to set the mac address in the pc nic settings to match the mac address of your router. Not sure I would be sure that your pc is using dhcp maybe it has static.

Hargorold

Prominent
Jun 2, 2019
Called my net provider. Appearently some sort of light reciever is broken in the box out on the street. So they are coming to fix it on monday. Thanks for all the help