Question Discord stuck in downloading update 1 of 15 and won't open ?

aor999

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2017
PSU: Seasonic 620W Active PFC 80+ Bronze
Motherboard: Gigabyte B360M H rev 1.0 (Bios: F15)
CPU: QuadCore Intel Core i3-8100, 3600 MHz
GPU: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
Memory: 8GB DDR4-2666 DDR4 SDRAM
SSD: PNY CS3030 250GB SSD (232 GB)
HDD 1: Toshiba HDWD110 (1TB 7200RPM SATA-3)
HDD 2: Segate ST4000VX007-2DT166 (4 TB, 5900 RPM, SATA-III)
Windows 10 64-bit Hebrew (Version 22H2)

I downloaded Discord at Discord website.

Ralston18

Titan
Try a fresh download and reinstall.

Do so manually. No third party tools or installers.

= = = =

Look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer.

Hopefully either one or both tools will be capturing some error code, warning, or information event just before or at the time of the update failures.

Reliability History is easier to use and understand. The timeline may reveal some pattern to the failures.

Event Viewer requires more time and effort to navigate and understand.

To help with Event Viiewer:

How To - How to use Windows 10 Event Viewer | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

aor999

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2017
There are no special things with Reliability History/Monitor:

Reliability-History-Monitor-status.png

I didn't find any Discord-related events in the Event Viewer.
This problem began yesterday.

Jul 13, 2024
Heya aor999 , I registered just to let you know i have the same issue as you.

It started the same time (yesterday morning when i woke up i noticed it happening, was 1 out of 15 in update and after trying to uninstall/reinstall/delete cache etc' it became 1 out of 5).
what we share in common is we both have a GTX 1650 (tho i doubt it is a 'drivers' issue that the latest discord update suddenly requires you to have up to date drivers, which in fact i don't as a choice) and i am on Windows 11 (22H2 Hebrew too)
It could be isp/location related? them suddenly having issues with bezeq ip ranges? no clue.

All i know is that it still persists today and i am just using discord for web which has 0 issues (and makes it kinda funny one can't use the app but the 'for web' version is so simple and issue free)

aor999

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2017
This is indeed what happening.
If the problem was related to Bezeq then I couldn't connect to Discord for web as well. I doubt Bezeq blocking Discord. The problem with the Discord software is the updates, and they can't be skipped.

Jul 13, 2024
This is indeed what happening.
If the problem would be related to Bezeq, than I couldn't connect to Discord for web as well. I doubt Bezeq blocking Discord. The problem with the Discord software is the updates, and they are can't be skipped.
Yeah that makes sense. i just have no idea what can cause the program itself to sorta 'open' but as it feels not be able to reach the discord servers or properly update? i never had this issue before. it was always a matter of seconds when it was 'checking for updates' and then the update itself took seconds too. never something i even noticed was stuck on any step, just sorta quick in between opening/closing after it is updated.

Trust me i am just as frustrated, and i even pay for the discord premium thingy..... no clue what they did with this update but they definitely broke it for us. it is definitely annoying.

Jul 10, 2024
Just uninstalled discord with Revo Uninstaller and it removes registry and c: drive folders etc. re-booted, downloaded direct from discord website, clicked install and it had 5 files to do a new fresh install. All went perfectly. Running win11 though.

Jul 13, 2024
Just uninstalled discord with Revo Uninstaller and it removes registry and c: drive folders etc. re-booted, downloaded direct from discord website, clicked install and it had 5 files to do a new fresh install. All went perfectly. Running win11 though.
but did u even have the issue to begin with? because that's the entire point of this thing... if you didn't have the problem since their latest update... then you doing those steps was pointless?

Jul 10, 2024
Just checking if I would get the problem too. Haven't used Discord for a while
1. You could try running as administrator
2. Are you using a VPN?
3. Have you changed the DNS server in your modem or system recently
4. You could try uninstalling with Revo Uninstaller. It totally removes everything that relates to discord then try installing it again.

Jul 13, 2024
Just checking if I would get the problem too. Haven't used Discord for a while
1. You could try running as administrator
2. Are you using a VPN?
3. Have you changed the DNS server in your modem or system recently
4. You could try uninstalling with Revo Uninstaller. It totally removes everything that relates to discord then try installing it again.
1 - Irrelevant. obviously tried first thing when it happened even before uninstalling/re-downloading and reinstalling but never had to run it as admin for it to work/update regardless.

2. Nope, never did and i doubt the OP does/did either

3. Been using google's public dns since forever, and YES i tried to remove it and not use it back when it started as i assumed it was a 'servers connection' issue or w/e... the OP doesn't think so.

4. the OP did... didn't help. and i doubt it would help me either. mostly the thing that can be cached i guess (well other than registery stuff, but again OP did it and didnt help him) is the cache folder in %appdata% which i deleted

but yeah, it isn't really something you can probably ever replicate or 'try to help with' if it is indeed something that is affecting both OP and me being from a different country altogether (and yet again, bizzarely having the same GPU)

like don't get me wrong.. i appreciate trying to help... but it is sorta meaningless if u didn't have the issue to begin with. and from googling since yesterday and checking the reddit, it is clearly not something that wide-spread or that was an issue for many people to begin with unfortunately. only relation op and me have in that regard is that we are both from Israel and have the same gpu (not even same OS.. he is on win 10 and i am win 11)

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2024
well. most troubleshooters who respond to people's questions dont have the issue of the person with the problem so just because I don't have the problem doesn't mean that it can't be fixed. also, if you know anything about troubleshooting, there can be more that one fix to a problem. Google would have multiple hits on discord problem if it was related to a various video card you would think, as it is a well known and used video card.
Anyway, Good Luck !

Jul 13, 2024
well. most troubleshooters who respond to people's questions dont have the issue of the person with the problem so just because I don't have the problem doesn't mean that it can't be fixed. also, if you know anything about troubleshooting, there can be more that one fix to a problem. Google would have multiple hits on discord problem if it was related to a various video card you would think, as it is a well known and used video card.
Anyway, Good Luck !
Year you're right. and in the end it isn't even my post per se.

I just kinda lost hope on it being fixed maybe till discord update again or something, and using the web version for now

Jul 10, 2024
No problem, I did remember someone I knew had a similar problem where it got stuck on update and they had to specifically add an entry into their firewall to allow the discord program through the firewall. It may not be related to your situation but this person I remembered, did say it happened randomly one day when they went to use it. The previous day it worked fine. I'm not sure what Internet security/Firewall you are running but thought I would mention it. They were using Norton internet Security. Cheers.

Jul 13, 2024
No problem, I did remember someone I knew had a similar problem where it got stuck on update and they had to specifically add an entry into their firewall to allow the discord program through the firewall. It may not be related to your situation but this person I remembered, did say it happened randomly one day when they went to use it. The previous day it worked fine. I'm not sure what Internet security/Firewall you are running but thought I would mention it. They were using Norton internet Security. Cheers.
just the default windows 11 firewall. i do have NOD32 as an A/V but it never clashed with discord or had any issues.

honestly? it just feels like an 'on their end' sorta issue, specially since it started when they pushed that latest update? previously any update discord had was issue free since, well... forever.

oh well

Jul 13, 2024
Hey there @aor999 and @Leifman just wanted to let you both know i am having similar issues with discord. I am using windows 10 (22h2 hebrew too) however i have a different gpu GTX 2070 super.
My best guess would be that its either an issue with bezeq and their ip ranges, or location.
Edit: i have also started having this issue with the latest discord version starting on friday.

Jul 13, 2024
Hey there @aor999 and @Leifman just wanted to let you both know i am having similar issues with discord. I am using windows 10 (22h2 hebrew too) however i have a different gpu GTX 2070 super.
My best guess would be that its either an issue with bezeq and their ip ranges, or location.
Edit: i have also started having this issue with the latest discord version starting on friday.
thanks for the confirmation! glad it's not the GPU (even if i did find it extremely unlikely, doubly so that it was already quite on the odd side we both had the exact same gpu lol)

It's just so odd that the 'for web' version is issue free (well, it does just work from browsers...) but the app itself seems to somehow just not want to connect to discord servers or what have you.

I really hope they either fix it or somehow in the next patch it gets resolved, beats me. It really never happened to me before.

Jul 14, 2024
Came across this thread today after I started having this issue. Also a Bezeq (Intl) user, so I tried a VPN to get through the downloading update stage and it worked fine. I then disconnected the VPN and Discord worked fine after that.

Reactions: Leifman
Jul 13, 2024
Came across this thread today after I started having this issue. Also a Bezeq (Intl) user, so I tried a VPN to get through the downloading update stage and it worked fine. I then disconnected the VPN and Discord worked fine after that.
[ Moderator note: edited post to remove profanities. Remember that this is a family friendly forum.]

***** bezeq. i refuse to use a VPN to fix some of their or discord's issue.

But thank you for the post man! glad at least that there is technically a 'solution' per se if one wants to bother using a VPN to bypass their *****

Edit: I caved in. just to test it and confirm myself... downloaded the free Proton vpn and tested and indeed. Updates fine. can disconnect the vpn post-update and it works fine then as well. so yeah, thanks for your message and it is indeed 100% bezeq.

Last edited by a moderator: