[SOLVED] Discovered an interesting and annoying glitch on windows that may go un noticed for some people and slows your CPU down to just 0.5GHz! (Ryzen CPUs)

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
See this:
View: https://youtu.be/iA_XqX1vXWM

my ryzen CPU running at 0.54ghz for over 2 hrs the machine has been on, wondered why netflix wasnt running 4k!
I wouldnt have noticed if I handnt seriously thought heck my machine is being slow. Id just updated windows so this could affect alot of people on here if its not fixed soon!

EDIT: as people seem a little confused, you can see me in the video check the power plan I was on was set to 100% max and min which is what I use this isnt a case of me having it set really really low, as im almost always doing something that requires the proccessor to be throttled up, like video editing, this saves me if I walk away for 5 minutes coming back to a computer that takes a second to load my edit when I hit play. I already know the power plans exsist, thats why its set to high performance and not to balanced. Just noting, that this could be an issue, and what happened to me yesterday could happen to more, as something clearly has sparked this outside of a BIOS update for my mobo

Last edited:
Solution
Originally there was just the Microsoft power plans, the normal 3 choices you get in Windows. But it didn't take AMD long to realize that that was an issue with the Ryzen cpus since those power plans were based on Intel cpu algorithms and the cpus were all out of whack as a result. So AMD worked with Microsoft engineers in depth and created the AMD Ryzen power plans and specified that the cpus would run best if just left on Balanced as this allowed the cpu to adjust the voltages and speeds by itself. Self regulating.

Intels power down all cores, but all cores remain active at idle. Ryzens power down all cores and put to sleep state all cores except One. So with the older power plans, anything that induced an idle state was killing All...

Colif

Win 11 Master
The added power plan is actually added via chipset drivers so if you update yours for motherboard you should have AMD Ryzen Balanced & AMD Ryzen High Performance as well.

its not new, unless they add it to everyone via a windows update and that seems worrying. I think it depends on what chipset driver you have. I have had the 2 choices for at least 4 months.

Reactions: kurdtnz
See this:
View: https://youtu.be/iA_XqX1vXWM

my ryzen CPU running at 0.54ghz for over 2 hrs the machine has been on, wondered why netflix wasnt running 4k!
I wouldnt have noticed if I handnt seriously thought heck my machine is being slow. Id just updated windows so this could affect alot of people on here if its not fixed soon!
Lol, good morning Columbus, you just discovered America. Those power plans have been used for ages., but seriously:
You can adjust any power plan to work same as any other or even make your own. If max processor state is set at 99% CPU will peek at it's base frequency, with even lower % it will peek at even lower frequency.
My favorite settings are 100% for max and 5 % for minimum state, that way it will throttle down to some minimum frequency at idle and still have full speed or anything in between when needed.
One of best power plans you can download and install is https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/1usmus-custom-power-plan-for-ryzen-3000-download.html
which you can use and also modify to suit you. There are more settings in a power plan that are normally not visible or adjustable but this one hes best of those settings.

Just downloaded the new chipset for my motherboard from AMD and now it no longer has the ryzen balanced power plan, just 'balanced power plan' and when i went to the settings, the max power state was fixed at 99% so changed that to 100%.

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
The added power plan is actually added via chipset drivers so if you update yours for motherboard you should have AMD Ryzen Balanced & AMD Ryzen High Performance as well.

its not new, unless they add it to everyone via a windows update and that seems worrying. I think it depends on what chipset driver you have. I have had the 2 choices for at least 4 months.
The thing is I have not had this option until yesterday, it may have appeared a week before or a month before but I have not updated the BIOS on this motherboard yet and it deffinetely was not an option when I changed the power from balanced not too long ago when I got this board. Again it 100% has only appeared after a windows update, idk why...

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Lol, good morning Columbus, you just discovered America. Those power plans have been used for ages., but seriously:
You can adjust any power plan to work same as any other or even make your own. If max processor state is set at 99% CPU will peek at it's base frequency, with even lower % it will peek at even lower frequency.
My favorite settings are 100% for max and 5 % for minimum state, that way it will throttle down to some minimum frequency at idle and still have full speed or anything in between when needed.
One of best power plans you can download and install is https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/1usmus-custom-power-plan-for-ryzen-3000-download.html
which you can use and also modify to suit you. There are more settings in a power plan that are normally not visible or adjustable but this one hes best of those settings.
Im not discovering the power plans, I already know the power plans exsist, thats why by default its set to high performance and not to balanced which is the default state from a windows install, which you would obviously know, simply noting that their is now an "AMD" optimized option that until yesterday had never appeared for me, the only thing being a windows update as this board has not gone through a bios update since factory as I havent needed too. If it aint broke dont fix it.

Secondly you can see in the video I check this, and the MIN / MAX state is both 100% so why would it be at 0.54GHz especially when recording a video which is a task that would throttle it unless it was a glitch, not just me not understanding what a power plan is or does. I think your thinking of this as a problem someone cant fix, I knew what it was pretty swiftly and I know its not pebcak.

Edit : Not sure why people see the need to downvote when someone hasnt taken something into full consideration before commenting

Last edited:
The thing is I have not had this option until yesterday...
I have tried all power plans and can't get it to run as low as .5Ghz, ever. Then downloaded and installed the new chipset drivers and it didn't change anything. Although I did end up with 2 AMD Ryzen High Performance plans, neither made any difference.

I'm also running PBO with custom EDC/TDC/PPT settings, have enabled CPPC and CPPC Preferred Cores in BIOS and have disabled Advanced C States. Either of those can affect how the processor responds to transient processing loads so that might be a difference.

I'm pretty sure there's more to it than just the power plan.

EDIT: It seems now I can enable advanced C states with my custom PBO settings and not suffer degraded light threaded performance as I was before. I'm wondering if something's been changed in the drivers themselves, not just the Ryzen power plans?

Last edited:

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
I have tried all power plans and can't get it to run as low as .5Ghz, ever. Then downloaded and installed the new chipset drivers and it didn't change anything. Although I did end up with 2 AMD Ryzen High Performance plans, neither made any difference.

I'm also running PBO with custom EDC/TDC/PPT settings, have enabled CPPC and CPPC Preferred Cores in BIOS and have disabled Advanced C States. Either of those can affect how the processor responds to transient processing loads so that might be a difference.

I'm pretty sure there's more to it than just the power plan.

EDIT: It seems now I can enable advanced C states with my custom PBO settings and not suffer degraded light threaded performance as I was before. I'm wondering if something's been changed in the drivers themselves, not just the Ryzen power plans?
Honestly i have never experienced this either. 0.5GHz is confirmed as you see in the video unless tskmngr was not reporting correctly and it was definetly running really slow what id expect 0.5 to feel like. Now Ive heard people mention many times that its the chipset drivers that makes this option apear. It could be. I havent them downloaded them myself although they couldve auto downloaded when i updated windows. Again with everything set to 100% min max i dont see why it would go this low. Updated mobo bios today and grabbed the chipset drivers to see if i can replicate and i cannot

Were you using 1usmus CTR 2.0 software by any chance? There were a few people who reported slow cpu speeds like yours.
I have tried it but had nearly constant BSOD's during the testing phase so it it never worked well for me. I don't think it leaves any lingering effects after removal, since his utilitities I've used are all portable and contained within it's folders.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Originally there was just the Microsoft power plans, the normal 3 choices you get in Windows. But it didn't take AMD long to realize that that was an issue with the Ryzen cpus since those power plans were based on Intel cpu algorithms and the cpus were all out of whack as a result. So AMD worked with Microsoft engineers in depth and created the AMD Ryzen power plans and specified that the cpus would run best if just left on Balanced as this allowed the cpu to adjust the voltages and speeds by itself. Self regulating.

Intels power down all cores, but all cores remain active at idle. Ryzens power down all cores and put to sleep state all cores except One. So with the older power plans, anything that induced an idle state was killing All the cores voltages and that was the issue, the one remaining Ryzen core was grouped into the rest.

The power plans were updated by Microsoft in later updates, so now if you have a Ryzen cpu you may see AMD entries, if you have used Ryzen Master, that also includes AMD entries, but some will not see AMD entries if using an older build of Windows, especially Pro users who have always had the option to delay build updates.

Point is the power plans were fixed, have been for a while now and it no longer matters to a Ryzen which power plan or state you use. Performance only benefits for those whom desire a full time cpu, like static overclock status, but for PBO use OC Balanced works just as well as the boost levels are not static, but dynamic. This allows the cpu to idle down correctly, but takes less than 1/256th of a second to bring all cores upto full active boost levels.

Ryzens use the newer power saving guidelines set by (I believe) EU standard guidelines. The cpu chooses 1 preferred core that has the best attributes for lag, i/o, speeds, wear etc. It'll always use that same preferred core until that core is no longer the best, then switches to the new best core. Intel 11th gen will be the same.

Balanced was designed to preserve the life and health of the cpu by using as little as possible when not under a load, Performance is not.

My preference is Balanced, but minimum is adjusted to 8%, max is stock 100%. This gives greater room allowance for stay resident programs such as Steam, RainMeter etc.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Because they are now the same thing. Before, the AMD Balanced was different to Microsoft Balanced, but now they are the same, so the prior AMD is removed, allowing Windows to adopt Microsoft Balanced as Default.

Amd updates through Windows update now, same as the nvidia whql drivers are updated through windows.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Because they are now the same thing. Before, the AMD Balanced was different to Microsoft Balanced, but now they are the same, so the prior AMD is removed, allowing Windows to adopt Microsoft Balanced as Default.

Amd updates through Windows update now, same as the nvidia whql drivers are updated through windows.
knowing how well Windows update works, I am sure I won't get questions about this later... (turns sarcasm off)

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have a x570 i aorus pro wifi. Is there any reason as to why since downloading the new chipset from AMD today that both ryzen power plans have disappeared and Ive only been left with 'Balanced?'
thats odd, cause I have an Aorus X570 Elite WIFI and thought, I might as well grab newest chipset drivers from AMD and I still have 5 power plans to pick from, the AMD ones that existed before and the other 3 (power saver, Balanced, High Performance).
I don't have latest BIOS but that shouldn't have anything to do with what plans Microsoft offers, Win 10 is up to date apart from a preview build of a Cumulative Update and those aren't always good to get early

Or can I still see them cause I have AMD Ryzen Master installed?

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Then something didn't take, or you are actively using an older power plan, cuz that shouldn't happen. If the RM is an older version that maybe why, it's adding older plans.

But doesn't really matter which you choose, as long as the cpu behaves as you want it to.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I ran the latest updater, i didn't get any errors. None of the drivers have a creation date and the way AMD work their updates, you might not get new driver versions anyway, just a new package.

I have 2.13.27.501 which were released yesterday. i restarted after I was meant to. I just watch, they might randomly disappear tomorrow.. after next shutdown or something. I have fast startup off so off is shutdown, not sleeping. so Startup is same effect as a restart.

Updated Ryzen master, still have all 5.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Rofl. Well you could prolly erase everything, start from scratch completely and hope it resets, because honestly I don't know what I would do if I had more than one possible option. I mean decisions decisions.... It'd drive me batty just thinking about it...

Lemme know when I can turn the sarcasm back on... 😱

Uninstall older or any chipset drivers completely before installing newer ones. Chipset itsef is made with several functions and Chipset driver " reflects it with 6-8 separate drivers for each function.
Unless you download and use chipset drivers from the site of your MB's manufacturer, there is only one driver for all Ryzen platform chipsets, including TR.

It might have something to do with the fact I have a 5600X? I know there are some issues regarding the 5600X and Ryzen Master, It's the only 5000 series cpu thhat if you go to AMD's support page and go to update processer, it's not listed. You have to download Ryzen Master separately. They are suppose to be running a fix for it this month.

It might have something to do with the fact I have a 5600X? I know there are some issues regarding the 5600X and Ryzen Master, It's the only 5000 series cpu thhat if you go to AMD's support page and go to update processer, it's not listed. You have to download Ryzen Master separately. They are suppose to be running a fix for it this month.
Imgur: The magic of the Internet

That's what i mean.