Discovery Channel's Top Ten Americans List

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,rec.sport.football.college,alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers,alt.impeach.bush,alt.politics.bush (More info?)

Looks like the people in America know greatness when they see it. No wonder
the demoncrats can't win elections anymore. If this list is any indication
they may never win another election again. America loves the GOP.

The top 10 list of Greatest Americans as voted by America for
Discovery Channel's Greatest American

10. Franklin D. Roosevelt
9. Oprah Winfrey
8. Elvis
7. Bill Clinton
6. George W. Bush
5. Ben Franklin
4. George Washington
3. Martin Luther King
2. Abe Lincoln
1. Ronald Reagan

Ron Olin wrote:

> Tesla wasn't listed?

I think I saw the list of the original 100, and Tesla was a
glaring omission. Even bigger than that, they drew from all
fields, including music, and Louis Armstrong wasn't on the
list.

Larry wise scholar
University of California

The NBA Salary Cap FAQ:
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> 6. Jefferson - Unparalleled involvement in the authorship of the
> documents that define our country. Author of the Federalist Papers.

Jefferson did not write the Federalist Papers. His political archrival,
Alexander Hamilton, did, along with James Madison and John Jay.

> Einstein became a citizen, but most of his accomplishments were made
> when he wasn't. Most Americans give him the credit for ushering in the
> Nuclear age, when in fact it was more in the hands of Oppenheimer (also
> missing from the list.)
>
> - Jordan

Credit or blame?

"Tempest" <tempest@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> And leave Reagan as #1?
>
> The president who brought us record deficits, the Iran/Contra scandal and
> whose administration is the most corrupt in American history when you
> count the number of convictions?
>
> LOL!

Corruption seems to be very American. Very corrupt = Very American!

God Bless Us!

-John

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,rec.sport.football.college,alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers,alt.impeach.bush,alt.politics.bush (More info?)

> >9. Oprah Winfrey
> >8. Elvis

It's a joke.
--
©hri§tÇræm®
"The power of Cream compels you."

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,rec.sport.football.college (More info?)

Aaron Ginn, I'd respond to you, but then I won't be watching TV, you
can see the bind I'm in:

> At least Oprah or Elvis didn't kill anyone, which is more
> than I can say for at least half the people in the top ten.

Yea, but some of them needed killin'

-Tom Enright

"Tom Enright" <freddy_hayek@yahoo.com> writes:

> Aaron Ginn, I'd respond to you, but then I won't be watching TV, you
> can see the bind I'm in:
>
> > At least Oprah or Elvis didn't kill anyone, which is more
> > than I can say for at least half the people in the top ten.
>
> Yea, but some of them needed killin'

Thanks, God.

--
"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography."
-- Ambrose Bierce

Larry wise scholar wrote:
> Ron Olin wrote:
>
>> Tesla wasn't listed?
>
> I think I saw the list of the original 100, and Tesla was a
> glaring omission. Even bigger than that, they drew from all
> fields, including music, and Louis Armstrong wasn't on the
> list.

I saw part of the first show and I do believe tesla was mentioned. He was
given short-shrift and deemed a kook though.

> Larry wise scholar
> University of California
>
> The NBA Salary Cap FAQ:
> http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Odin" <invalidemail@aerojockey.com> wrote in message
> Ron Olin wrote:
>> Tesla wasn't listed?
>
> That's because Tesla was Canadian.

Not American but not Canadian either.

"Larry wise scholar" <lmcoon_nospam@cox.net> wrote in message
> Ron Olin wrote:
>
> > Tesla wasn't listed?
>
> I think I saw the list of the original 100, and Tesla was a
> glaring omission. Even bigger than that, they drew from all
> fields, including music, and Louis Armstrong wasn't on the
> list.

I don't know -- "Mechanical Resonance" was good, but not "Greatest
American" good, IMHO, and they'd pretty much said all they had to say by
"Bust a Nut". Anthrax (w/ Joey Belladonna) deserves more consideration
in my judgment.

--
Jeremey

"Alson Wong" <rasvp@yahoo.com.b_l_o_c_k> wrote in message
> "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > 6. Jefferson - Unparalleled involvement in the authorship of the
> > documents that define our country. Author of the Federalist Papers.
>
> Jefferson did not write the Federalist Papers. His political
archrival,
> Alexander Hamilton, did, along with James Madison and John Jay.

Well... he wrote the Constitution, at least.

--
Jeremey

"Jeremey Wilson" <noaddressgiven@yahoo.com> writes:

> "Alson Wong" <rasvp@yahoo.com.b_l_o_c_k> wrote in message
> > "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > > 6. Jefferson - Unparalleled involvement in the authorship of the
> > > documents that define our country. Author of the Federalist Papers.
> >
> > Jefferson did not write the Federalist Papers. His political
> archrival,
> > Alexander Hamilton, did, along with James Madison and John Jay.
>
> Well... he wrote the Constitution, at least.

Um, no. That was John Hancock. Did you fail American history?

--
"There is danger in all men. The only maxim of a free government ought
to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty."

Jeremey

in article snmzpb8zn8.fsf@gmail.com, Aaron Ginn at aaron.ginn@gmail.com
wrote on 6/27/05 1:42 PM:

> "Jeremey Wilson" <noaddressgiven@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> "Alson Wong" <rasvp@yahoo.com.b_l_o_c_k> wrote in message
>>> "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Jefferson did not write the Federalist Papers. His political
>> archrival,
>>> Alexander Hamilton, did, along with James Madison and John Jay.
>>
>> Well... he wrote the Constitution, at least.
>
> Um, no. That was John Hancock. Did you fail American history?

No, Hancock wrote de Tocqueville, I'm pretty sure.

--
Jeremey

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

btpage0630@yahoo.com You're digging it round, when it aughta Be SQUARE

>What a terrible list. In no particular order....
>
>John Adams
>Alexander Hamilton
>George Washington
>Ben Franklin
>John Jay
>James Madison
>Abraham Lincoln
>Theodore Roosevelt
>FDR
>Patton
>
>And truthfully, 10 is way too short of a list. There are well more
>than 10 that deserve inclusion from the Revolution time period alone.
>John Hancock, Paul Revere, Patrick Henry, etc

reagan was a good president, but when the list had Clinton and GW on
it, I felt sickened, when Reagan made the top 5 I knew there was a
concerted effort to skew the results, GW was #6 on thier tally.
Dittoheads do have power.

--
"People who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to" - Jerry Seinfeld
"Education is the progressive discovery of our own Ignorance" - Will Durant

Aaron Ginn wrote:

> "Jeremey Wilson" <noaddressgiven@yahoo.com> writes:
>

>>"Alson Wong" <rasvp@yahoo.com.b_l_o_c_k> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>>Jefferson did not write the Federalist Papers. His political
>>
>>archrival,
>>
>>>Alexander Hamilton, did, along with James Madison and John Jay.
>>
>>Well... he wrote the Constitution, at least.
>

> Um, no. That was John Hancock. Did you fail American history?

It's for sure that you did. James Madison is the Father of the U.S.
Constitution. John Hancock wrote not one line of it.

Lamont Cranston <Lamont@TheShadow.com> writes:

> Aaron Ginn wrote:
>
> > "Jeremey Wilson" <noaddressgiven@yahoo.com> writes:
> >

> >>"Alson Wong" <rasvp@yahoo.com.b_l_o_c_k> wrote in message

> >>archrival,

> >>Well... he wrote the Constitution, at least.
> > Um, no. That was John Hancock. Did you fail American history?
>

> It's for sure that you did. James Madison is the Father of the
> U.S. Constitution. John Hancock wrote not one line of it.

Please. Why did he get to sign it first then? And in giant letters
to boot?

--
"There is danger in all men. The only maxim of a free government ought
to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty."
-- John Adams

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,rec.sport.football.college,alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers,alt.impeach.bush,alt.politics.bush (More info?)

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:18:36 GMT, "Jeremey Wilson"
<noaddressgiven@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Larry wise scholar" <lmcoon_nospam@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Ron Olin wrote:
>>
>> > Tesla wasn't listed?
>>
>> I think I saw the list of the original 100, and Tesla was a
>> glaring omission. Even bigger than that, they drew from all
>> fields, including music, and Louis Armstrong wasn't on the
>> list.
>
>I don't know -- "Mechanical Resonance" was good, but not "Greatest
>American" good, IMHO, and they'd pretty much said all they had to say by
>"Bust a Nut". Anthrax (w/ Joey Belladonna) deserves more consideration
>in my judgment.

I was waiting for someone to make that joke.

Rob
ploovTeHSPaeMBLoKuR@charter.net

--

Owner of 2501 Netstalker Points awarded by Corwin of Amber, mainly
because Atma's just too damn attractive to get away from.

Gave 7499 Netstalker Points to Cypher because there's no such thing as
a good day on AGFF without JT bashing!

Owner of David Watson, rec.arts.anime.misc

"These days all the war games are like 'man down, we need an artillery
strike, bla bla bla.' Where is my version of the invasion of Iraq
where Saddam is a hundred feet tall and shooting ghosts out of his
head or where Afghanistan is defended by a dragon that drops eggs on
you?"
--Zack "Geist Editor" Parsons, Fashion SWAT "Retro SWAT 4"

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,rec.sport.football.college,alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers,alt.impeach.bush,alt.politics.bush (More info?)

btpage0630@yahoo.com You're digging it round, when it aughta Be SQUARE

>Dennis said:
>>reagan was a good president, but when the list had Clinton and GW on
>>it, I felt sickened, when Reagan made the top 5 I knew there was a
>>concerted effort to skew the results, GW was #6 on thier tally.
>>Dittoheads do have power.
>
>No kidding. The fact that names would be included where we've had
>absolutely NO time to evaluate their contributions makes it a bit of a
>farce.
>
>Brent

Popularity contest...

--

Aaron Ginn wrote:

> Lamont Cranston <Lamont@TheShadow.com> writes:
>

>>Aaron Ginn wrote:

>>>Um, no. That was John Hancock. Did you fail American history?
>>

>>It's for sure that you did. James Madison is the Father of the
>>U.S. Constitution. John Hancock wrote not one line of it.
>

> Please. Why did he get to sign it first then? And in giant letters
> to boot?

He was first in line at the signing. He didn't write any of it.

Aaron Ginn wrote:

> Lamont Cranston <Lamont@TheShadow.com> writes:
>

>>Aaron Ginn wrote:

>>>Um, no. That was John Hancock. Did you fail American history?
>>

>>It's for sure that you did. James Madison is the Father of the
>>U.S. Constitution. John Hancock wrote not one line of it.
>

> Please. Why did he get to sign it first then? And in giant letters
> to boot?

Uhhh, that was the Declaration of Independence, dude. He didn't write
it either; Thomas Jefferson did.

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,rec.sport.football.college,alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers,alt.impeach.bush,alt.politics.bush (More info?)

Lamont Cranston <Lamont@TheShadow.com> writes:

> Aaron Ginn wrote:
>
> > Lamont Cranston <Lamont@TheShadow.com> writes:

> >>It's for sure that you did. James Madison is the Father of the
> >>U.S. Constitution. John Hancock wrote not one line of it.
> > Please. Why did he get to sign it first then? And in giant letters
>
> > to boot?
> >

> Uhhh, that was the Declaration of Independence, dude. He didn't write
> it either; Thomas Jefferson did.

Dood, I think you are seriously confused. Thomas Jefferson wrote a
bunch of pamflets called Common Sense.

Where did you go to school, anyway?

--

Aaron Ginn <aaron.ginn@gmail.com> wrote in

> Lamont Cranston <Lamont@TheShadow.com> writes:
>
>> Aaron Ginn wrote:

>> > Please. Why did he get to sign it first then? And in giant
>> > letters
>>
>> > to boot?
>> >

>> Uhhh, that was the Declaration of Independence, dude. He didn't
>> write it either; Thomas Jefferson did.
>

> Dood, I think you are seriously confused. Thomas Jefferson wrote a
> bunch of pamflets called Common Sense.
>
> Where did you go to school, anyway?

i hope you are just kidding around because 'common sense' was written by
thomas paine, not thomas jefferson. so tell us where you went to school
dood.

Jack Straw wrote:

> i hope you are just kidding around because 'common sense' was written by
> thomas paine, not thomas jefferson. so tell us where you went to school
> dood.

Ahh, Thomas Paine...inventor of the window.