Question Discrete GPU not working on MSI P65 Creator laptop / inaccessible to applications ?

califauna

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2012
Hi,

I have an MSI P65 Creator laptop with an Nvidia GTX 1050Ti GPU.

The 1050 doesn't want to work at all. Connecting the HDMI just causes hanging and constant switching between the integrated Intel GPU and back to the 1050. The integrated Intel GPU works fine.

I have the original 19.5V 180w charger for this laptop and have tried with a 20v 260 watt charger for the GE75 as well and it doesn't remedy it (I presume trying with a 20v charger instead of 19.5 volt wouldn't itself cause a problem).

Here are the screen shots and monitoring hml from afterburner and GPU-Z.

Have tried a bunch of stuff:

Reflash original vBIOS
update BIOS and EC firmware
reinstall windows
change driver
change RAM
underclock
replace thermal paste for CPU and GPU (but left existing thermal pads on other components)

Is the GPU chip dead? How can I verify this?

monitoring data hml file

Monitoring data jpeg

GPU details

Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
What BIOS version are you currently on for your laptop's motherboard? As for your GPU, you're using out of date drivers. You should ideally source drivers from Nvidia's support site, then use DDU to rid your platform of all GPU drivers, then manually reinstall your GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

As for this;
reinstall windows
Where did you source the installer for your OS? Assuming you're on Windows 10, what version(not edition) of the OS are you on?

califauna

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2012
It's not bad drivers and it's not a bad OS. I've tried 3 different or 4 drivers (from Nvidia website and MSI website). I believe I also used DDU at one point as well. I've also installed Windows official (from https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.phpm, SHA1: 30ff3cc3cdc05abf47489742e2e1b810d0003968 ) and a custom Windows installer which I have used on multiple PCs, including MSI laptops.

Latest posts