News Discrete GPU Sales Dropped, AMD Loses Ground to Nvidia

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Not surprised. I've had horrid luck with AMD gpus graphics drivers over the years. Everytime I try and give them another chance their terrible drivers drive me away again (I miss ATI).

Now Amd do fix things in time but things move WAY to slow. Honestly I believe thats where the adage about AMD gpus aging like fine winecomes from. It takes years for them to extract the full power of their gpus due to this driver fumbling. Where Nvidia tends to have their gpus running at full sprint within weeks or months of a launch (ie hardware and/or games) . Amd gpu users pick up on this, consciously or not and end up buying Nvidia down the road. Amd ends up kicking themselves in the teeth with what could have been superior hardware over software. Amd needs to focus on their software engineers a lot more, hire or fire.

Reactions: KyaraM
D

Deleted member 2928070

AMD gpu market share will not amount to anything more than that chart regardless of prices, performance,features vs nvidia.
I see you're on a streak with your incredibly valuable insight.

KyaraM

Admirable
Not surprised. I've had horrid luck with AMD gpus graphics drivers over the years. Everytime I try and give them another chance their terrible drivers drive me away again (I miss ATI).

Now Amd do fix things in time but things move WAY to slow. Honestly I believe thats where the adage about AMD gpus aging like fine winecomes from. It takes years for them to extract the full power of their gpus due to this driver fumbling. Where Nvidia tends to have their gpus running at full sprint within weeks or months of a launch (ie hardware and/or games) . Amd gpu users pick up on this, consciously or not and end up buying Nvidia down the road. Amd ends up kicking themselves in the teeth with what could have been superior hardware over software. Amd needs to focus on their software engineers a lot more, hire or fire.
Superior hardware, not really. They look pretty close in that regard, minus temperatures which have been horrendous on literally every AMD card I owned so far, and RT which was simply slapped on with AMD to be able to claim they have it, but which is essentially non-functional. I fully agree with you on the software front, though. Together with the temperatures and the fact that they all died on me, I never had great experiences with AMD drivers and they improve too slow. When they finally fixed those issues I might give them a shot again, until then...

Reactions: atomicWAR

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
I see you're on a streak with your incredibly valuable insight.
don't worry AMD is too busy printing money from SOC sales to MS,google,Sony for their game consoles

if they didn't have those revenues, they would be more competitive in the desktop field. More features, better pricing & bigger team to fix their crap drivers.