[SOLVED] Discrete or Integrated GPU

May 2, 2020
Hello,
I just purchased the Asus Tuf A15 Gaming laptop with AMD ryzen 7 4800H and RTX 2060 GPU.

It has:
-HDMI 2.0B
-USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C™ with G-SYNC® enabled DisplayPort™ 1.4
-AMD Radeon RX Vega 7 integrated GPU

I want to to connect to an external monitor with atleast 144hz or 240hz with 1440p or 1080p.

Question 1: Which of the two ports is routed to the discrete Nvidia RTX 2060 GPU?

Question 2: If both are, which one is better?

Question 3: With a display port adapter with the intent to game, can both ports support G-SYNC for a monitor with Free-sync/G-SYNC capabilities.
Thank you so much for your time.😁

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I would say "Both" or maybe not.

" Connect an external monitor for master-level multitasking via USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C™ with G-SYNC® enabled DisplayPort™ 1.4, and play 4K Ultra HD movies, videos, and games on big-screen TVs with HDMI 2.0b."

That explains your confusion. I'm replying to your post because I want to learn about this too.

Which one you use would depend on the monitor you choose. What is your budget? Or do you already have a monitor in mind?

You should determine if G-Sync is available via the HDMI 2.0B port. It may or may not be. Be sure the monitor is G-Sync capable.

Then the question is:

When does the system use the Integrated GPU and when does it use the Discrete one? Or does it only use the Discrete GPU?

Toss in my "enough to be dangerous" question of "Can the GPUs be setup in Crossfire mode?" Probably not, but that's where my stream of consciousness led.

I'm sure your question will be definitively answered soon by one of the Experts on Tom's.