Discussion about upcoming gaming monitors this year !

mms123

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
Hi everyone ,

If HDR is really worth it , What is the best option between upcoming gaming monitors from Asus , Acer and Samsung ?
1) Asus PG27UQ and Acer XB272-HDR ( 27'' - 4K - HDR - Quantum Dot - IPS - 144hz and G-sync )
or
2) Samsung CHG75 ( 27'' - 2K - HDR - Quantum Dot - VA - 144hz and G-sync )
Should i buy this Asus or Acer 4k / or this samsung 2k is enough for upcoming HDR Games With the above-mentioned specifications ?

Is there a big difference between 2k vs 4k for gaming ?

I think , i'll go with Samsung CHG75 ( 27'' - 2K - HDR - Quantum Dot - VA - 144hz and G-sync ) because the high price for Asus PG27UQ and Acer XB272-HDR (2000$) .

Is Asus PG27UQ and Acer XB272-HDR worth an extra $1k than this Samsung CHG75 ?
I think Samsung CHG75 with 2k , HDR and G-sync will be enough for best gaming experience .

Thanks in advance

Biga101011

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017
So I have been putting together a build for this summer and have had this same dilemma. The pg27uq has basically everything except oled. Then again when I look at hdr images on even my s8 I know that the FALD will be an inferior implementation. In any case I will try to break this down a bit.

The pg27uq is a 4k 144htz IPS panel with quantum dots and FALD to support HDR. Even though the 4k 144htz sounds crazy, the extra cost comes largely from the 384 zone Full Array Local Dimming. That is also what will set it the most apart from the Samsung. Each zone is going to be about 1 square inch, and contrast between zones will be excellent. At 27 inches and 4k Windows scaling can cause problems, but nothing I wouldn't put up with for the resolution in game.

The big problems with it are the price and the fact that new games will not run at 4k 144htz on any pc with settings turned up. You can turn down aaa and other settings and probably get 100htz plus is allot of games with a 1080ti, but it depends what other settings you are willing to lower to keep the resolution. Also since oled lights each pixel individually, when we finally get oled monitors the limitations of the 1 inch zones will be pretty noticeable.

The Samsung brings some new tricks to the table with quantum dots, va panel and hdr. They may beat the other 2k 144htz monitors out now, we will just have to wait for reviews. VA panels are also not as well tested for high refresh rate gaming, so definitely do not preorder until you see their implementation and what people say about them.

I do have too say from personal experience that the jump from 1080p to 1440p is much more noticeable than 1440p to 4k. Going back to 1080p from my 4k laptop looks fuzzy, but looking at 1440p gaming monitors other people have they still look nice and sharp.

To summarize this all, 4k is not worth double the cost. The FALD could be. Neither of these will compare favorably to oled if we see ever actually see those in gaming monitors. The current selection is also good, less expensive and is out now. The AOC AGOG AG271QG can be found for $620 on Amazon. And lastly, wait for reviews once they come out. It is to long of a wait, but we won't know for sure until then.