Discussion: graphic quality with different cables and adapters?

finity

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
My GTX 760 SC came with a VGA cable, DVI-I -VGA adapter, DVI-D - VGA adapter, HDMI, and I found an extra golden s-video cable laying around. MY gpu doesn't have any composite, component, or even s-video hookup. There is 1 slot on my GPU that's slightly larger than an Hdmi or usb port. It's the same shape, but I don't have a clue what it's for.

Why do you think they gave me all the adapters and cables? i know some give higher graphic quality, and others higher resolution. Could i get better quality or resolution with some combination and maybe another adapter?

I also have an extra flat screen TV with hook ups. Maybe we can them rig up special to make em better. I'm speculating.

Please don't simply say to use HDMI. i know its the best and easiest, but i'm trying to learn something.

Solution
it's not the cable that makes the quality. The hardware behind what you plug the cable into. S-video does not have better quality than even vga and certainly not dvi/hdmi/dp. S-video had better quality than composite, i.e. the yellow one on the L/R + video triplet, it was similar to scart, but component was better than S.
hdmi will take you up to 1080p, display port will go beyond 1080p if your screen can cope, DVI can go above 1080p too. All will have the same quality per pixel.

VGA can go above 1080p, but will be at poorer quality.

They give you all the options so that you can use it with any monitor, and don't feel aggrieved with your new purchase when you first try to use it.

finity

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
I knew all that, but s-video has better image quality, and VGA better resolution. if I use my adapter on the VGA cable like DVI-D and something else. plus the s-video cable, why wouldn't it look extra nice?

it's not the cable that makes the quality. The hardware behind what you plug the cable into. S-video does not have better quality than even vga and certainly not dvi/hdmi/dp. S-video had better quality than composite, i.e. the yellow one on the L/R + video triplet, it was similar to scart, but component was better than S.

Solution

finity

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
ooh ok i get it. final question, i heard one cable let you have a split monitor, maybe it was a software or gpu i'm not sure. been reading a lot of random stuff. i mean like....not a dual boot (maybe) but like 2 programs running side by side almost like separate computers. i know windows 7 or whatever added the snapping thing but that doesn't always work with programs.