[SOLVED] DISCUSSION i7 4790(k) owners systemupgrade

Solution
I wouldnt upgrade just yet, at least not on intel.

To being with 4790k is a very capable chip and can still run everything to date, especially if overclocked. Now speaking intel they just recently announced 10th gen, which already makes everything obsolete, specially because the past 3-4 intels gen, i dont even know at this point are nothing but refresh of the refresh of the refreshed refresh bla bla bla 14nm process, so they all sucks from a innovative point of view, dont touch the 9th gen.

now, amd wise seems like their new ryzen stuff are quite the bomb, the 3900x with like 12 cores and 24 threads, pretty amazing, and although i wouldnt recommended that one, the biggest reason that i'd say wait Q2 2020 is becuz intel, finally, has...
There is no upgrade path for that processor. What you have is the best processor for that platform.
If you are wanting to upgrade, my recommendation is a cpu/motherboard/memory combo and possibly a new grpahics card and power supply, depending on your original list of components. If you are interested in proceeding i'll follow up with a list of questions to assist with the process.

i currently have a i7 4790 i just wanted to hear from people who are considering upgrading from this pc to say a ryzen or intel 8xxx or 9xxx so that i could determine wether it's worth it, and how much gain i can expect

Maybe i should make a new thread, any idea on a title that would correctly convey this?

To being with 4790k is a very capable chip and can still run everything to date, especially if overclocked. Now speaking intel they just recently announced 10th gen, which already makes everything obsolete, specially because the past 3-4 intels gen, i dont even know at this point are nothing but refresh of the refresh of the refreshed refresh bla bla bla 14nm process, so they all sucks from a innovative point of view, dont touch the 9th gen.

now, amd wise seems like their new ryzen stuff are quite the bomb, the 3900x with like 12 cores and 24 threads, pretty amazing, and although i wouldnt recommended that one, the biggest reason that i'd say wait Q2 2020 is becuz intel, finally, has to respond to amd threat instead of just breezing with their old xxx tech, plus they said they'd be coming up with some incredible shizzle, and frankly it has to be incredible if they plan to beat that 12 core 3900x, considering their best stuff is a 8core...

give it 6 months

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

now, amd wise seems like their new ryzen stuff are quite the bomb, the 3900x with like 12 cores and 24 threads, pretty amazing, and although i wouldnt recommended that one, the biggest reason that i'd say wait Q2 2020 is becuz intel, finally, has to respond to amd threat instead of just breezing with their old xxx tech, plus they said they'd be coming up with some incredible shizzle, and frankly it has to be incredible if they plan to beat that 12 core 3900x, considering their best stuff is a 8core...

give it 6 months
Thanks for the reply
So you reckon i'd be better off waiting for intel's answer to the amd threat
Let's hope they start a price war too :)

I did see that intel's 10nm is out but only for mobile cpu's

If anyone else have opinions i'm still open to them, especially if you have upgraded from i7 47xxx

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador

give it 6 months
The 3950X is really going to hurt when it launches next month.

Reactions: liamwhalley20