DISCUSSION: Microsoft can remotely disable pirated games on Windows 10

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014

Well that seems like a noble service. This was not the case for me however based on what you said.
1) That drive is not mechanical.
2) Nor was it "neglected"
3) Windows 8.1 never had this issue.
4) This was -always- followed by very high inbound and outbound network usage.
5) Audio and Video made up a small percentage of the drives used space, but a high percentage of the drive scanning performed.

warmachine8

Honorable
Nov 4, 2016
I just completely lost use of my laptop yesterday because of a new windows 10 update. I had it working perfectly fine, and actually somewhat fast that morning, and then the update app froze my game, forcing me to do a hard shutdown. After the update, it took 5 minutes to load anything to the point where it would run smoothly, and then, nothing. No screen image, no boot, no OS. My laptop is reading it as a media failure in the PCIe Family controller, and says to "check the cable." Im sorry, I may have agreed to forced updates (only delayable, they still install them, even you don't want em), but I did NOT agree to have an update completely disable my computer! Im going to open my machine and check all the physical connections to ensure that nothing physical is causing this, that way I can at least prove their sole responsibility for this damaging update and possibly gain some avenue for recourse.

I did have a cracked version of Deus Ex HR, but only because I can't afford it right now. I wanted to play it to make sure it was the one I remembered before I bought it.

I feel it may also be worthwhile to note that my system was installed from an ISO I downloaded from their site, after I tried installing windows 8.1 pro because it was just SO MUCH FASTER! I mean, seriously, even without compatible drivers for my i7 and pcie family controller, windows 8.1 ran fast and smooth without stuttering in my graphics dependent games. In the games that relied heavily on the processor though, I did have a lot of lag. I just wish someone would make drivers for these new systems so people can stop using the headache that is windows 10.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.