DISCUSSION: Microsoft can remotely disable pirated games on Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
For people who thinks they can get away with pirating games and running Windows 10, the joke's on them. According to Tech2, Microsoft will have the ability to shut down and delete pirated software from your Windows 10 PC. This does not affect Windows 7 and 8.1 users, though this is a warning from Microsoft that piracy is illegal and should be taken seriously. This move could even lead to fines and/or imprisonment if users continue to attempt to pirate games and Microsoft catches them in the act. Article below:

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/microsoft-can-remotely-disable-pirated-games-if-youre-running-them-on-windows-10-277956.html

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
The way I'm reading it, this would only affect those directly related to Microsoft Services. In other words, the apps you download off their store, or other software directly tied to Microsoft. I personally don't think they have the means to monitor every single PC game out there, nor would they be legally allowed to do so seeing as it wouldn't be under their jurisdiction to police other companies' games. Something like that would require them to partner up with the people publishing the games, and for the publishers/developers to agree to that type of monitoring. Another angle to consider is the privacy issues that would cause. Windows 10 already has its fingers in all kinds of data collection. If they really can and are doing this, then the PC is no longer very personal.

what I thought funny was how Microsoft is to start and then how they welcomed pirated windows to upgrade to 10 .. hmmmmmm.....

then you wonder what agreement they may have to work with this with other company's to keep all this in check now ..

also on the data collection and privacy , there stand on that is if you don't like it don't use it - too bad so sad for you

as I say in most posts about 10 is your personal computer is now a public computer

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
just give it time. right now there are probably a dozen super geeks out there working on disabling and preventing all the win 10 phoning home. will take a bit of time but soon enough we'll be able to block all this nonsense and just use the os like an os should be used. i don't use pirated stuff anyway but still far too reaching for my liking.

don't like any of this one bit but i do know the tweaks and such will be coming :) just a matter of time......

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i have not read the whole thing and i know it says "we're gonna record everything and do whatever we want with it" but does it also say, "you can't do anything about it"?

it has to say, "you agree to take it up the a$$ and promise to never try to stop us or complain about it" for blocking them to be against the EULA. at least this is how my totally uninformed legal opinion leads me to believe. :D

and a EULA won't stop anyone from blocking this stuff. never has before and won't in the future. i don't pirate stuff anymore but i sure as hell will "void the warranty" by removing that little sticker from the packaging!!

why take all the chance and install it to start with ?? I cant understand why guys lets say got a good solid working copy of 7 running and overwrite it with something like 10 ?- all I think they see is the hype of dx 12 smoke screen ..

thing is as well is I think it says you got one month to chang back so is it after the one month your 7 key it tied to 10 and cant be used to reload 7 and activate ?? so you good working old windows is now a gonr and you stuck with 10 or buy a new copy [wile they last at a now 20$ mark up] to get 7 back ??

I feel a lot of folks just got suckered -- windows free was the first red flag and forced updates was the next

Good point. And after I once upgraded Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, with all the speculation of the catches behind the "free" upgrade, once I upgraded the motherboard and reinstalled Windows 8.1, I decided against the upgrade and instead purchased Windows 10 to dual-boot with Windows 8.1. And I'm glad I did since I'm not stuck without a functional OS if Windows 10 messes up. And no, I will NOT pirate games on my Windows 8.1 drive.

I just got a sick feeling there going to drop new support for 7 and 8 soon and kinda ''force'' you to 10 -- its been a little trend I see - look at how thy did vista and xp not only did windows flat leave it so did a few hardware manufactures -- -- like with amd 13.12 was the last vista driver and I don't recall what one was for xp just as a example

whats real sad is you got windows software that don't work with newer windows -- so it as easy as that for Microsoft to tell manufactures just stop support - that's the trap they fall in to doing all there windows proprietary drivers and software

if they were to treat Linux near as equal Microsoft would be long out the door - point and click compatible software is all windows got going for it - for me if it was not for the ease of gaming and the amount of native games [ not running through emulators like wine or what ever ] or if there wer Linux clients native to the games and Linux would get a universal installer I doubt I would use windows today or at least anything new form them over 7

out side of gaming I use Linux for everyday tasks just that hacking at the terminal to do a simple point and click install of something is kinda a turn off

its free in order to fool you into upgrading you good solid older more private OS's and have you trapped into this .. see how easy that dupes people and makes things to go bye ,bye.. that free is nothing but suckers bait

free and dx12 - dx12- o.m.g I got dx12 - yup, you got it all right

It probably is tied into the App Store. People forget to consider that Windows 10 is a AiO version unlike previous versions of Windows that had different versions for different types of devices. A lot of this will probably pertain to mobile Windows 10 more than anything.

Of course people do not need to use the App Store, I never have.

junkeymonkey, DirectX is always free as it is part of the OS. Microsoft could transfer it to say 7/8 but they would have to update the WDDM but the last time that happened there was a plethora of issues, some really bad some not that bad.

Lightning98

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
In this day and age of highly sophisticated windows firewalls, router firewalls it's highly unlikely windows 10 "dial home" feature can't be turned off with a few clicks. And for users of pirated software, even windows itself, can simply choose to reinstall with updates and SP every year or so and not even connect to any Microsoft servers at all.

I remember being fed up with microsoft skype's ads, and toolbars. Just using the hosts file to edit out all the M$ addresses made all the ads dissapear. Once every 6 months i remove them just to upgrade and that's it.

That being said, I'm happily working on my windows 7 and never even considered crossing to 8.1. In about 2 years when Win 10 matures and gets sufficient software support for the stuff i use maybe then, who knows. Maybe a dx12 game or 2 will be available then.

ChronosVRdS

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2014

You're correct: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/#serviceslist
Windows 10 isn't listed in the covered services in the terms, but internet jumped in speculation train.

Also since anyone really read before this terms only are valid to users with Microsoft Accounts using their services, if you use a local Windows 10 user you're not bound to this terms!

This Section of the ToS (7.b) is more related to Windows 10 Mobile because is fully dependent from Windows Store, the only way that this term be a problem on Win10 is if you sideload a counterfeit application is sold only and exclusively by the Windows Store or is Windows Games published by Microsoft which you need an M$ account to use anyway.

It took me over a year to go from windows 7 to 8.1 on my main rig.

My htpc is still windows 7 & will likely remain so forever because media center with its TV tuner features is important to me ,windows 10 upgrade is downloaded on my gaming rig but I'm not going to update until I absolutely have to & its confirmed 110% that any/all problems have been ironed out.

Interesting find. I am surprised more articles have not been digging into the EULA and finding what is related to what.

It is as I said, Windows 10 is a AiO OS so it will include the EULA for all versions.

ChronosVRdS

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2014
Gears of Wars Ultimate edition will be Windows 10 exclusive afaik and Microsoft likely to force all their new games to for 10, they're much more aggressive in pushing this version

Lightning98

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015

I myself see this more as a bridge to future options from M$. For example people using pirated adobe or other products, M$ could simply offer "disable as a service" feature to them. And say pay us to disable all we find.

ChronosVRdS

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2014

Well nobody mentioned that the said EULA doesn't cover Windows 10 only Microsoft Services used by said OS, a game published by M$ using their Xbox/App Store can disable your hardware in the context of that specific service, Windows 10 can't.

ChronosVRdS

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2014

To be honest, when a I first read this report (weeks ago) I thought the same as most of people in the internet, but everywhere said that the EULA is for services and decided to read the damn thing! And as we know sensationalism makes clicks and clicks make money.

I'm using windows 10 and loving, but I'm most concerned with the privacy issues and data collection even after Cortana is disabled.

UPDATE: Here is the Windows 10 EULA: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

That is slightly concerning but if Microsoft is being true then the data is nothing anyone should actually worry about. It seems like it is almost equal to when Windows phones home for updates, which is all the time, or when checking for license validity, again this is often.

I went through the privacy settings and disabled a lot of stuff but most didn't worry me.

ChronosVRdS

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2014

Just to sum up, the PC authority is wrong about the Windows 10 EULA there is no such term, as anyone can read here:
Windows 10 Retail EULA: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm
Windows 10 OEM EULA: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/OEM/Windows/10/UseTerms_OEM_Windows_10_English.htm

This term 7.b is for the Microsoft Services Agreement which is not an EULA is a Terms of Service and the most important part it doesn't cover the Windows 10 as you can see here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/#serviceslist

So the only situation where this can be a problem is games that are sold and published exclusively by the M$ Store since you need a account to use. For those that are paranoid using Local instead of M$ accounts on the Windows 10 nullifies any of this terms.

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013

The EULA does give them the right to do this, and they have the means built in. Right now, we're just trusting that they won't act on it.

And you're right, this does mean the PC is no longer personal. That's the whole deal with this outcry,

TNT27

Distinguished
So how do they define it as a pirated game? And if they can disable those, they sure as hell can (have the tools to) disable ANY program you have.

INVASION OF PRIVACY is a huge problem with win 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.