Discussion: Polaris, AMD's 4th Gen GCN Architecture

Page 46 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Any specific reason why we need a new MegaThread? Couldn't you just update the title of this one?

Looks good. Can't wait for more sites to test it. Now the GPU can be considered but I would still wait for the AiBs anyways since they will probably have better cooling and better power numbers anyways.

It is impressive that the driver is able to do this. I wonder if it is lowering the voltage.

Originally that was the way to go. However the problem with that is myself. I'm the author of this thread, and unfortunately I simply don't have the time to continuously update a megathread with the latest graphics card information.

That is why another person is taking over this operation. :)

Ah, yeah I know the problem of too many things to do. Thanks for running this thread :)

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
[quotemsg="cdrkf']Where you may have a point is there are possibly some load / smoothing capacitors on the motherboard (to remove and ripple introduced through the cables from the PSU to the motherboard). These could of course be of low quality and could prove to the the 'weak link' in the event of overloading the slot. Without looking at the design of motherboards in more detail I can't honestly say I know if this is how they are built though, just speculation on my part.[/quotemsg]
But even if there are smoothing caps, they shouldn't be affected by higher DC (average) current. Only AC current would matter, and there have been cards in the past with variable current peaking well over the rated limit with seemingly no ill effects.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
So I did the driver upgrade here is my results:

Idle power useage went down from 180w to 136w, thats a huge improvement IMO.

Ran Firestrike, gained 70 points over my prior best score (which was done when the card was 4gb), and 90 points over my best score with the card set to 8gb. While my power meter on my UPS doesn't do averages it was clearly biased towards the lower range running around 290 to 340w most of the time with some spikes to 370 and up as high as 408. So total power useage is the same on a spike but generally it seemed to run lower.

Current score: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9199250
Prior 8gb best score: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9157036

Temp went from 82 to 81 C.

Seems like its working.

Really small performance penalty, that's probably less than 1fps difference in the real world.

I'm amazed that a graphics driver was able to fix this problem. I would of guessed the only way to fix this is thru a BIOS update.

That is promising.

Alright Ladies and Gentlemen, the Polaris MegaThread is now UP AND RUNNING!
You all have 12 hours from now to get any discussions you are discussing over here to the offical megathread. (Close time is: 10:00 AM Mountain Standard Time)

Instructions:
Simply click the reply button of the comment you wish to copy over to the other thread, then copy the text (all the text) inside the body and then paste it into the body of the megathread comments section. Please also make sure you add in that you transferred the text from another thread, or else people will be really confused.

Once the 12 hours are up, I will close this thread completely. (You may still comment on here until the close time, but I don't see how that would be very beneficial.)

Status
Not open for further replies.