Discussion: Will there be a 27" Retina Cinema display!!?

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Discussion just for fun - not in need of assistance.

What do we think about the chances of Apple releasing a 27" Retina Cinema Display by early 2013?

I've been dreaming about bumping above 1080p ... and frankly the current 27 Apple Cinema display and a couple comparable Dell monitors seem to be the best single-monitor solutions for very high resolution. However -- if a big-a$$ retina display is even on the horizon its got to be worth waiting for! It seems like something that would go well with next year's Mac Pro release.

How likely do we think it is that super high resolutions will be available on big panels in the near future? Any thoughts on how quickly manufacturing would bring prices on those below $1000?

Thanks!

manpizza

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
No, I don't think apple will release a 'retina' cinema display. The way apple declares it a 'retina' display is by achieving a certain PPi. For a 27" screen to reach that PPi, it would be an insane resolution. I'd think most GPUs would have problems outputting to such a resolution. Not to mention the cost.

I can see them increasing it to the resolution of the mac book pro, or slightly above. But, I can't see them releasing a monitor that fits the current qualification for their retina marketing term. Of course, they could just change the qualifications and call it retina anyways. :D

I definitely see a cinema display with the mac book pro's resolution, or slightly higher, on the horizon though.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Thanks so much for the replies! I could definitely see a "retina" that's slightly lower PPI than the previous screens -- there is already precedent because the "retina" on ipad, iphone, and mac are different.

I would probably be happy with anything they called retina ...