Disk 0 has C drive but Disk 1 has D drive; need to move space from D to C

lanebeavs

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
Hi guys!
So, my PC has disk 0 which holds the C drive which is around 223 GB, holds the OS. And then on disk 1, there's around 2 TB of space. Unfortunately I need a lot of this space in the C drive. How do I move space from drive D on disk 1 to drive C on disk 0?

I've tried "Cutting" or Shrinking some storage from D to unallocated space, but I can't move that unallocated space to disk 0 to extend the C drive. Here's a picture.

https://gyazo.com/7f83c26a610ce568eebd7f27485c2b81

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Solution
So first, you're kind of mixing the idea of logical volumes and physical volumes. Your C drive (disk 0) physically can only hold 256GB. You can't physically increase the storage size of it by taking some from the D drive (disk 1). If both C and D were partitions on the same physical drive, you could swap space with what you've been attempting to do. But that's not the case here.

So options.

1. Migrate data you don't need on C over to D. If they're just data files (documents, music, etc) you can move them. Migrating your documents folder to the D drive is a good option in this case. If they're program files, your best bet would be to reinstall the program with the D drive as its install path. Games take up a huge chunk of space so this...

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
You're doing it all wrong. All you have to do is RELOCATE certain files from the C drive over to the D dive.

These are the folders I'd relocate:

Documents
Videos
Music
Photos

I would also create another folder on the D drive and call it Games. Then I would start installing my games over there to save space.

So first, you're kind of mixing the idea of logical volumes and physical volumes. Your C drive (disk 0) physically can only hold 256GB. You can't physically increase the storage size of it by taking some from the D drive (disk 1). If both C and D were partitions on the same physical drive, you could swap space with what you've been attempting to do. But that's not the case here.

So options.

1. Migrate data you don't need on C over to D. If they're just data files (documents, music, etc) you can move them. Migrating your documents folder to the D drive is a good option in this case. If they're program files, your best bet would be to reinstall the program with the D drive as its install path. Games take up a huge chunk of space so this would be a quick fix. Steam has a whole set of instructions on how to do this with their games.

2. Buy a bigger drive for your C drive (drive 0) and clone the existing C drive over to it.

3. You can span the two physical drives, so that windows see's drive 0 and drive 1 as a single logical volume and just calls the whole thing the C drive. I'm hesitant to do this tho. You'll have to back up all your files from both drives as they're need to be formatted and setup as a spanned drive. Also in the event of one of the drives crashing, your data is pretty much gone. So make sure you have a good backup solution in place.

Solution

lanebeavs

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017

Yeah, I guess I'll just install everything to the D drive from now on.

USAFRet

Titan
Read here for how to manage space between the two drives:
Win 7 & 8: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html
Win 8.1 & 10: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

For Steam games, this:
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
GCel24U.png

It makes life easier. Make sure to read USAFRet's post on managing spaces with your version of Windows.

Feb 19, 2019
Hey guys, I have the problem with space too, but of course I tried to install everything on my D drive because it has more space, but the games never worked with installing there. So some advice would really help if somebody knows what to do with it :(

TRENDING THREADS