Disk always at 100% in Task manager, Even an empty folder says it takes up approx 1.93 gb

Kai_

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
My computer has been running rather slow lately so i check task manager and disk is at 100%,
this has kept happening over the past week and today i tried creating looking for the problem by opening the folder properties of my downloads folder and it said i had 300 gigibytes, which is kinda ridiculous but i figured i'd delete all my downloads and see if that helped. The now empty folder still said it was taking up about 2 gigs, so i moved to a different directory and created a new folder, didn't even name it, and then right clicked and opened properties. It said the folder was taking up 1.93 gigibytes. Since then i've been looking around and basically any folder i check will say some ridiculously large number. Looking at a folder, the number will slowly climb as i look at it, no matter the folder. Is this some kind of hardware failure where my hard disk is failing and about to die, or do i possibly have some kind of malicious software doing this? I'm kind of panicking at the moment to be honest

Hi there Kai_,

As you believe that the drive may be failing, you should back up the important data stored on it. After that, you can just test it: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
Look for pending/reallocated/uncorrectable sectors.

As for the space being taken, I believe you've cleaned the recycle bin right?

It will not hurt to run some antivirus/malware scans.

Let me know how this goe,
D_Know_WD :)

Kai_

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

Thank you for the help, i've downlaoded the HDTune Program, but i'm not sure exactly what i'm looking to do with it?

TRENDING THREADS