Disk at 100%, entire computer freezes

zeldas12

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
This has been happening for a few days now and it's driving me nuts. My disk will run at 100% and freezes my entire computer forcing me to restart. I've disabled SuperFetch and Windows Search and look up threads where others have the same problem but I can't figure out the problem.

It's hard to see what's being used in the resource monitor because as soon as the disk hits 100% it instantly freezes, this is really all I could get

Solution
The drive could be dying. Happens when baf sectors pop up on a drive and the system tries to write to it.

You could try a scandisk and tell it fix errors and let it scan and see if it can flag the bad sectors. If that doesn't work the drive will probably need to be replaced
The drive could be dying. Happens when baf sectors pop up on a drive and the system tries to write to it.

You could try a scandisk and tell it fix errors and let it scan and see if it can flag the bad sectors. If that doesn't work the drive will probably need to be replaced

Solution

zeldas12

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013

I just did a zero write and CrystalDisk is reporting that everything is good now, where before it was reporting an error with the current pending sector count. From what I've read though this doesn't fix the error, only hides it. I guess I'll send it in for an RMA but this should hold me over until I get the time to ship it out.

Ashadia

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015
I have this problem. I have uninstalled my recent update (update for winow 8.1 for x64 based systems (kb3035583)) -it basically is an update to advertise windows 10 from what I learned. And I forced my laptop to hit 100% disk usage. My computer no longer froze up, only the program that I was using to hit 100. I haven't seen any more problem's in the past few hours.

Update:
As a note, My computer would not completely freeze as it was before, but it was still having high disk usage. I also went and used a manual disk scan on my computer and it fixed an error, now programs arnt causing high disk usage and freezing.
I have a windows 8.1 system and though it told me I didnt need to run the scan, it still found something. Hope this helps