Disk Boot failure - disk works(has heat from it)

im_doin_ur_mum_69

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
hi my computer just recently turned gay on me.
i turned it on once and it said disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter

ive done some of my own reaserch on this and ive done the following

changed harddrive to be first boot device
checked if it's the harddrives fault by taking the 1st one out and putting in another one --- it still came with the same message.

Both the harddrives give out heat and you can feel the fan sppining in them.

when i try to reinstall/repair vista or xp it says there is no hard disk to install it on

In the bios when i tell it to auto detect the hardrive all the fields compe up as 0

Please i need help this is my 2nd computer in 2 months.
I CANT AFFORD TO BREAK THIS :(

Thanks alot

G

Ok you have 2 hard drives, both giving the same error? That is you removing the first drive and inserting another in the same port?

branflakes71

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did both hard drives have Windows on them? If you had two drives in the system, usually only one has the operating system actually installed on it. Only that drive would be seen as the boot drive.

Is this a RAID setup? Totally changes things.

May seem simple, but make sure you don't have a USB drive plugged in when you try to boot. Some motherboards still try to boot from that first.

Are these SATA drives or IDE? If IDE (older type), the jumpers have to be correct to be seen.

There is a chance the hard drive controller has gone out, but it's not that common.

Is this a desktop or laptop?

im_doin_ur_mum_69

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
@ohreally

I didnt have two hard drives previously running. the computer just ran one.
the other hardrive was from another computer and used to test if it was a harddrive problem

@brainflakes71
the normal hard drive had windows xp while the other hard drive had vista
WHATS A RAID SETUP

the only usb things i have plugged in are mouse and keyboard

and i didnt get what you mean by SATA or IDE and dont get what the jumpers are
it's a desktop

sorry about how bad i am with computer tech. lol
thanks alot

branflakes71

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don't worry about RAID, as you don't have that setup.

SATA and IDE are two types of hard drive conenctions. Hard drives used to be IDE and SATA is the common conenction now, but older computers still have IDE. Since I don't know how old your computer is, I want to know which hard drive type is installed.

IDE uses a wide ribbon, gray colored type connection to the drive.

SATA is a skinny cable with a small connector. The SATA cable can be red, blue, black, most any color.

If your hard drive is IDE, jumpers on the hard drive have to be considered. That's why I want to know which type you have.

Putting in someone else's hard drive may not tell you anything, as it's formatted for another computer's hardware.

If possible, you should download and run some hard drive testing software. Usually, the company that makes the hard drive has some sort of diagnostic testing software you can run off a CD or USB drive to test the drive.

If you don't know what brand your hard drive is, look at it-there's a label with the brand and model somewhere on it.

As I said before, there is the possibility that your hard drive controller has gone out. which is why neither hard drive is detected in the BIOS.

Oct 29, 2012
hello,

I have a similar problem and I was wondering if you managed to solve it. It appears also the same message of boot error press any key, and I can't format the disk, as it is not recognizable.

I already tried to disconnect and reconnect the internal disc, the BIOS setup, and nothing worked.

I wait to hear from you

pedro