DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylelieb

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
When ever I boot up I get the error message DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. I just press ctrl alt delete, and then it starts over and boots up. This has been going on for a couple of years now, and nothing I have read online has helped.

This is a desktop computer with windows vista home premium with sp1. AMD Athlon X2. 7450 Dual-core processor. 3GB DDR2.

kylelieb

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
The monitor cuts off the first letter but it says:

?MD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI!
NVIDIA Boot Agent 249.0542
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 NVIDIA Corporation
Copyright (C)1997-2000 Intel Corporation
?XE-E61: Media test failure, check cables
?XE-M0F: Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent.
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

When it gets here, or actually before it gets here I can press ctrl alt delete, it will reboot and then doesn't get there error and boots into windows. But the first time I always get this error. But if I press ctrl alt delete it always reboots and loads windows. I just don't know if it is causing any of the other problems I'm having with my computer.

Thanks,
Kyle

kylelieb

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
I just ran chkdsk. It didn't fix the problem. I don't know if it was supposed to tell me if something was bad because I didn't stay to watch it. When I came back to it, it was already back on windows. Any other ideas would be very much appreciated.

bobbylee

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

I have the same issue as kylieb..with Windows Vista..getting DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER...I will try crtl..alt...del..,,where do I get the system disk if I do not have one????

Fatality1234

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014

This has worked for me! Thanks

urbanman2004

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
I know this is an old thread but just to share a bit of advice as to what had worked for me, it helps if you disconnect any external disk devices (hard drives, USB keys, phone, etc.) before accessing the BIOS to set the boot priority option to the primary hard disk. Hope that helps

danijoseph420

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
Hi,

I would like you to use the Recovery wizard to sort out this issue. Here's how:

1. Open the Charms Bar.
2. Click Settings <<>> PC Settings <<>> Update & Recovery <<>> Recovery.
3. Click "Get started" to proceed.

More detailed diagnostic info here.

Status
Not open for further replies.