Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter.

ImCharming

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Hello, so I guess I should give my computer specs...

CPU: intel i7 920
Mobo: evga x58
RAM: Corsair dominator 6gb
HDD: Maxtor 320GB
PSU: Corsair 850w
GPU: EVGA gtx 285
Burner: LG 22x +- DVD burner x2

So maybe a month or two ago I turn my computer on and get the "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" so I do, screen just goes black, I restart and it goes through the boot process, then says boot from disk press enter, well I don't want to boot from disk so I don't, I just want to get into windows. I take the disk out, restart go through it again "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" so I go into bios, change boot order to HD, dvd, removable, save then restarts.. but I leave the disk in. Well I get into windows just fine, whenever I remove the windows disk though I have to do this same thing every time, even if I remove it while I'm in windows and put it back in again before I shut my computer off. I have to go into bios, play with boot order, even if I don't change anything, save then it's good. Well last night I was going to burn a movie so I took my windows disk out, woke up this morning and ran into the problem again, but this time nothing is working. I put the windows disk in and it boots from it but I always end up having a black screen after I get the "starting windows" splash screen. Oh and I forgot to mention above, when I change the boot order to HDD first I always have to put HL-DT-STDVDD-RAM first which I guess is the dvd burner.. if I don't I can't get anywhere. So then my boot order is dvd, hdd, removable

So right now, just was playing with it, trying to make it work, did what made it usually work, changed boot order to dvd, hdd, removable and I get this now "Press any key to boot from cd or dvd....." A disk read error occurred press ctrl alt del to restart"

I'm sorry if I didn't explain it well if anyone needs clearification just let me know, thanks for reading and if anyone has any ideas of what the problem would be that would be wonderful. thanks a lot

ImCharming

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
hmm, well that seemed to work.. thanks! I left the disk in though, maybe it was just a lucky restart... but I'm in windows now and don't want to risk seeing by restarting then running into the problem. So thanks!