[SOLVED] Disk cannot be initialized because of unknown I/O error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2019
Hello
I took out my internal laptop hardisk as the laptop itself wasnt working anymore and inserted it into a 2.5 inch caddy to use as an external. When i connected it in i saw several different partitions appear.
(D) local disk 258mb free of 299mb.
(E) local disk 9.55gb free of 31.9gb,
(F) HP_recovery 2.27gb free of 14,9gb and
(G) HP_tools 1.97gb free of 1.98gb.

i ran disk management and found the main storage drive. It was "unallocated" i.e appeared blacked out and had 245gb free. So i followed the steps to try to allocate it by right click and "new simple volume" clicking next and assigning it a drive letter. However when i got to the final step it says "operation is not supported by this object".

So i just reformatted the whole disk removing all the partitions. But now, when i connect it to my computor it dosent recognize it at all. So i ran disk management and found it and it said the disk needed to be initialized first. So i tried to do that but i came up with the error "Disk cannot be initialized because of unknown I/O error".
Ive tried to initialize it on another computor and had the same problem. I did a google search and suggestions were to download some data recovery program and i downloaded EaseUs and fonepaw but they both depend on detecting the external drive which they can't (just as my computer cant except diskmanagement)

I also tried intializing the disk using a third party disk management software EaseUS partition master but as mentioned, the external isnt even showing up, but its still showing up on windows disk management.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be and how to fix it? do you think the HDD is faulty itself? Thats my main concern .

Grateful for any replies

Solution
It does appear that the HDD is faulty. As already stated, you need to connect it to a SATA port in a desktop PC to perform any further tests.

Can you tell us the HDD model number?
Sep 25, 2019
When you've tried to initialize the drive was it connected to the external drive caddy? Have you tried connecting the drive to an internal SATA data port?
Hi Lutfij.
Yes when i first connected it to my computor it was via extenrla caddy and i could see all the drives listed above. I just couldnt assign the unallocated space a letter.

Unfortunatly i cant connect it to an internal port because i rescued it from an old laptop that died due to motherboard issues.

Sep 25, 2019
Update: I ran Hard Disk Sentinel and got the following error:

"The configuration does not provide further disk status information. However, "Disk" menu "Surface Test" function can examine the disk functionality, reveal and fix possible problems.

Please use the "Report" menu "Send test report to developer" option to help us determining if it is possible to detect and display more information.
Please visit the "Hardware" and "Support -> FAQ" sections on www.hdsentinel.com for details."

However, when i select surface test as advised, the HDD is not listed, hence i cant even run a test on it

I sent the report. But as its a trial version i dont know if they will help.

Im still stuck, any solutions would be great?

Aug 30, 2019
"because i rescued it from an old laptop that died due to motherboard issues. "

your DD is probably dying.
try cristaldiskinfo it will give you an idea of the damage or not

Sep 25, 2019
Sep 25, 2019
"because i rescued it from an old laptop that died due to motherboard issues. "

your DD is probably dying.
try cristaldiskinfo it will give you an idea of the damage or not

I downloaded and ran cristaldisk info and the external HDD didnt even show up. Same as all the other programs unfortunately?.

Status
Not open for further replies.