disk defragmentation report error

I'm using Windows XP Pro. Edition 2002 Service Pack 2.
Everytime I use Disk Defragmenter, after defragmentation
is complete, it displays a message "Some of the files could not be
defragmented, please refer to defragmentation report for a list of these
files".
But when I refer to the defragmentation report, the "files that did not
defragment" section are empty.

What is the cause and possible ways to solve this problem??

Additional info :
1. The volume is clean after checking using fsutil dirty query command.
2. The volume is an NTFS volume.

Disk Defragmenter does not Defragment all files.

Disk Defragmenter provides a "Most fragmented files" list. When a
fragmented file is
larger than the largest pocket of free space available then the files is
not fragmented.
Running Disk Defragmenter a second or third time does move files around
and can
reduce / eliminate the contents of the "Most fragmented files" list. The
more free
space on the drive / partition, the more likely it is that all fragments
will be
eliminated.

Free space cannot be defragmented with the Windows XP Disk Defragmenter.
Neither can your pagefile cannot be defragmented because the file is in
use whilst
Disk Defragmenter is running. You can purchase other Defragmenting
Utilities e.g.
Perfect Disk, which will defragment your pagefile and free space.
Another option is to
place your pagefile in it's own partition. A pagefile partition is best
located as the first
partition on a second hard drive. You should leave a small page file at
the original
location.
http://www.raxco.com/

Two or three fragments also make up the MFT ( Master File Table ).

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Disk Deframenter Report Error" <Disk Deframenter Report
Error@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Windows XP Pro. Edition 2002 Service Pack 2.
> Everytime I use Disk Defragmenter, after defragmentation
> is complete, it displays a message "Some of the files could not be
> defragmented, please refer to defragmentation report for a list of
> these
> files".
> But when I refer to the defragmentation report, the "files that did
> not
> defragment" section are empty.
>
> What is the cause and possible ways to solve this problem??
>
> Additional info :
> 1. The volume is clean after checking using fsutil dirty query
> command.
> 2. The volume is an NTFS volume.

Thanks a lot for helping me out Gerry :),

By the way...how do i set up my pagefile to be in the first partition of the
hard drive? i have 80GB of hard drive space and i divided it into 4 equal
partition with Windows residing in the first partition.

Khalil Md Ideris
Malaysia