[SOLVED] Disk drive 100% on PC Startup

Dec 18, 2019
When I start my PC the windows loading screen takes a fairly long time, when it goes on the desktop it takes even longer. I open task manager and it becomes a white screen for a minute or two until it can process what's going on. My disk usage is 100% but only running on 1 disk yet I have two other disks making 3TB of HDD all together. I have no SSD though. Is there a way to make my startup run on all 3 HDD's to lower the usage so it doesn't get bogged down or a quick way to even out files throughout each individual HDD or do I have to go through each file separately and transfer them myself one by one? When everything is loaded up though my PC Runs like butter. But I hate the everlasting buildup to get to that point.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: RX 580 8GB
HDD: 3 1TB drives
RAM: 16GB two 8gb cards.

Solution
Sounds good! Until I can buy an SSD Though would you say that my theory of evening out the disks would help at all?
You can RAID them into a single drive, so windows will see all 3 drives as a single drive, it will increase performance but not by as much as an SSD. But you have to format all 3 drives in order to create a RAID 0 array from the 3 drives. Its like fusing 3 drives into one.
" Is there a way to make my startup run on all 3 HDD's to lower the usage so it doesn't get bogged down or a quick way to even out files throughout each individual HDD or do I have to go through each file separately and transfer them myself one by one? "

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this....but I think I have at least an idea...and I am leaning on that the answer is "no".

I would replace the HDD that contains the OS with an SSD.

I think you will see a huge improvement.

Dec 18, 2019
" Is there a way to make my startup run on all 3 HDD's to lower the usage so it doesn't get bogged down or a quick way to even out files throughout each individual HDD or do I have to go through each file separately and transfer them myself one by one? "

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this....but I think I have at least an idea...and I am leaning on that the answer is "no".

I would replace the HDD that contains the OS with an SSD.

I think you will see a huge improvement.

So an SSD is quicker in that sense? The reason why I added extra HDD's is to improve speed. And what I meant was all the applications that are being launched on my startup. Can I move those files to my other HDD's to make each individual disk drive process everything instead of only my main disk drive doing the start up. So in other terms, instead of Disk 0 (my main) Being 100% usage at startup. I can have lets say Disk 0: Running at 32% Disk 1: Running at 32% and Disk 2: Running at 32% so it evens out the startup stage and doesn't overwhelm just one disk?

So an SSD is quicker in that sense? The reason why I added extra HDD's is to improve speed. And what I meant was all the applications that are being launched on my startup. Can I move those files to my other HDD's to make each individual disk drive process everything instead of only my main disk drive doing the start up. So in other terms, instead of Disk 0 (my main) Being 100% usage at startup. I can have lets say Disk 0: Running at 32% Disk 1: Running at 32% and Disk 2: Running at 32% so it evens out the startup stage and doesn't overwhelm just one disk?
An SSD would still be much faster than 3 HDDs in RAID 0.

Sounds good! Until I can buy an SSD Though would you say that my theory of evening out the disks would help at all?
You can RAID them into a single drive, so windows will see all 3 drives as a single drive, it will increase performance but not by as much as an SSD. But you have to format all 3 drives in order to create a RAID 0 array from the 3 drives. Its like fusing 3 drives into one.

Solution