Question Disk Drive is Always at 100%

Zane_Alto

Reputable
Mar 12, 2019
I just upgraded my graphics card, cpu, power supply, and motherboard and ever since then it feels like it takes forever to boot up/load or do anything. When I check task manager when it is lagging the disk drive usually says 100%, if something is a literally like a few mb/s than it spikes up to around 60%+. Why is this and how could I fix it?

Ryzen 5 1600
GTX 1660 6gb
msi B450M Pro-M2
2x4gb G.Skill DDR4 2400
1 TB HDD

Dave8671

Distinguished
Hi

How did you update the driver for the graphics card, and if you did download it where did you get it, did you remove the old driver first? I would shut it down till you can solve the issue its not good for the drive to be running that much.

First of all, 100% disk usage isnt going to damage anything. In fact, most laptops hard drives are slow and run like that 24/7. Check your hdd health with hard disk sentinal (free trial) and then if you health is ok, the hdd is performing as it should be expected, bad. With modern hardware 100% disk usage is just a result of using a hdd as a boot drive. Hard drives are simply not fast enough to keep up with modern conputing, hence why everyone says to use an ssd as a boot drive. i would suggest buying an ssd with a fresh copy of windows. I have a couple of machines with hdds as boot drives and they all suffer from 100% disk usage even when mostly idle or with 1 program open, even when very little is being read or written. Hard drives are the weak point in most modern pcs.

Last edited:

Dave8671

Distinguished
I build a new Pc for the house a few months ago. I have not seen the 100% disk usage. If its not being used and has that 100% hmm I would not just ignore it. It could be software related either driver or an application. Take a look at this link below